Is a Microsoft Dreamspark subscription any good?

Daniel J November 8, 2013

I reside in India and I am studying Information Technology. Could anyone please tell me if the Microsoft Dreamspark Premium subscription is good (with valid reasons) so that I can approach my College and get permission to enroll my college. I need your opinions regarding MS Subscription

Thanks,
Daniel

https://www.dreamspark.com/support/FAQ/default.aspx

Why do educators need free developer and design tools?
    By providing the latest professional developer, design, and gaming software to educators at no charge, educators will have a unique opportunity to motivate and engage students and support those that wish to pursue a career in programming or design after graduation
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/uk_faculty_connection/archive/2012/04/18/dreamspark-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

The university I attend allows the students and instructors to download and use development software, various operating systems from Windows XP Pro to 8.1 Pro and Server 2003 to Server 2012, Office suites and products, and more, all with valid licensed product keys for a deep discount, or even free. It saves the students and instructors hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars (USD), allowing the students and instructors to focus on completing course work instead of trying to find a way to pay for the software themselves, or use alternatives that may not meet the needs of each course (Microsoft Access does not have an alternative software that is available to use). If the college can afford the licensing for the products (they have the control on what is made available to students and instructors separately and which software not to include for download), it would actually be a great asset to both the students and instructors, which then becomes an asset to the college.

Having the ability to develop, code, program, test, and troubleshoot on various versions of Windows is very important on finding out what it's compatible, and what isn't. Knowing the ins and outs of the different operating systems makes the student more marketable and valuable since there would be experience gained and better ability to troubleshoot common issues found in each version of Windows. Even new versions of Windows OS and other products are offered before it is available to the general public, giving students and instructors a head start on using and figuring out these products.

There are many benefits to Dreamspark that it doesn't make sense for any information technology school not to have it available. Not having it available only makes it more difficult for students and instructors to have the products and experience necessary to be ahead of the game. Only thing that I can see as a negative is higher tuition fees to cover the licensing for these products.