Is a library folder taking up twice the disk space in Windows?

Frank Leonardo January 4, 2013

Since I cook a lot, I created a library called Recipes for easy access. If I have included the Recipes folder from My Documents, and the files are in both places, are they taking up twice the disk space?

1. Jacques Knipe

Yes like everyone says, it is just a central link to all your media, where you can add numerous folders.

2. Shankar C

definitely they wont take up twice as space.
    THey are just shortcuts to your preferred directory

Reading through your question:
    "Since I cook a lot, I created a library called Recipes for easy access. If I have included the Recipes folder from My Documents, and the files are in both places, are they taking up twice the disk space?"

When you say you created a 'Library' are you in fact referring to a shortcut icon in the Libraries folder pointing to the Recipes folder or are you referring to the fact that you created a library with your recipes in?

A little extra information will help us give you the correct answer.

Hello, the libraries just include shortcuts for content from other folders. You can check the properties of folders/files when you right click on the folder/file and it will tell you the real path for it.

Windows 7 Libraries Explained – And Why You Want Them
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-libraries-%E2%80%93-and-why-you-want-them/
    if you have multiple copy of the same file so will take more space that reserved to a single copy, another way is to make a link which of course will not take a much of space.

7. Ahmed Musani

No, of course not. It appears as only a shortcut worth few Kbs. Just like when you install a program it creates startup shortcuts.
    Hope it helps.

8. Yiz Borol

No the library "folder" is really just a shortcut.

The way libraries work in windows is similar to their real-world counter-parts.
    A library is a conglomeration of different folders from all over your computer, or even network. It make them appear together but really they're stored separately.