Can my ISP track what I download?

Sean January 11, 2012

Can my ISP track what I download to my Android smartphone, via my wireless router at home?

1. Brian Kyle

Double check your customer agreement with them.

internet is under control, if no tracking then hackers and others have hands free to do what they want to do.

But they won't. Seriously. They don't care. 

Like James says, They can track what you do, but on a daily basis a ISP could have hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of people connected depending on the ISP. Most ISPs hate the idea mainly because it is more work for them.

The only reason they are going to care is if the Feds knock on their door, then they start logging what you do. But to get the Feds attention, you really have to do something stupid, like hacking or worse... black market kinda stuff. The Feds aren't going to care about your Music/Movie collection, unless they can add it to something else to bump up the charge.

4. Chris Hoffman

Yup. If you're downloading over your home router's Wi-Fi, the traffic goes through your ISP.

Of course, if you're downloading over 3G, your cellular provider can track what you download instead.