Why is my iPod Touch recognized as camera in Windows?

Agnes Salvador March 24, 2010

How can I make Windows recognize my iPod Touch as a iPod instead of as a camera in Windows ?

1. sheila0214

Same problem!!  Did anyone figure this out??

2. Sammyyd0715

@stevecampbell:disqus I have the same problem with my iPod Touch. When I sync it to my laptop (Windows 7) it says it is a digital camera. So I can't access anything on my iPod without being in iTunes. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall but it does nothing.

3. KristenB87

I'm having the same problem. I've had my iPod for 2 years, and Vista is now recognizing it as a Didgital Camera. I've tried updating the drivers and everything. Nothing is working.

I recommend you to post this as a new question, since old questions like these are unlikely to receive new answers.

Agnes,

did you manage to fix the hardware recognition issue you had with your iPod? What did the trick and which resource helped you? Please let us know!

• Agnes Salvador

No, Tina, I wasn't able to fix it :(

5. Steve Campbell

Just found an article we wrote on the subject:

http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/copytrans4-ipod-iphone-backup-and-recovery-utility/

Try that out and see if it works. If not, go to download.com and search for 'backup ipod' and see if they have anything that could be of use to you.

6. Steve Campbell

Agnes,

So long as iTunes recognizes your iPod I don't see any problem. I'm not sure if you're experiencing something normal or not, but if you want you can go into you device manager in My Computer Properties and uninstall the drivers for your iPod in the usb settings. Then when you plug your iPod back in it will re-install the drivers for you. Not sure if that will change anything or not.

• Agnes Salvador

Thanks for your reply Steve. I understand that the iTunes back-up does not back-up everything in the iPod that is why I want to create a back-up of my own thru Windows.. I did the re-installation of the usb settings and it still did not work. Anyway, if you can help suggest a way for me to see all of the files in my iTouch, that would be sufficient for me.