Can an iPod Touch or iPhone be synced & updated on Linux?

Mariomaster100 July 27, 2010

Can an iPod Touch / iPhone be synced and updated on Linux? I have asked on several forums and asked people and some people said it bricked their device. Is their a way to do it without dual booting and without bridling the device?

1. Johnbuk

I have an iTouch (os4) and Ubuntu 10.04 (dual-booted with Windows Vista). One can sync music via Rhythmbox and photos via F-Spot if you wish but not apps as has already been mentioned.
    The issue then is to ensure the settings on your Windows iTunes program do NOT sync photos and music. I appreciate this is not the answer you're looking for but I've found, sadly, you have to keep Windows on your PC/laptop for the iTouch or similar to sync Apps. Of course you can just download Apps from the gadget and not back them up via Windows if you didn't want to run that OS.

2. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

First off, i haven't tried this, but its an idea: Use wine (winehq.org) on linux to run the windows version of iTunes. Hope this works.

3. s189265

you might conceivably be able to install itunes onto any linux distro through a compatibility layer, such as WINE. you would want to get an older edition of itunes as well. you should be able to sync your iThingy to this, but probably not upgrade, as that would involve upgrading your'e itunes software. It will not be compatible with WINE.

• Josh Fox

I tried this with iTunes 7 on Ubuntu 10.04 with PlayOnLinux. The operating system could see the device, but iTunes could not. It was also extremely buggy and I always had to close it with XKill instead of simply closing it.

4. Josh Fox

You can sync music to it with Rhythmbox in Ubuntu 10.04, but nothing for apps. I've had the same problem, which normally, I wouldn't care, but the router my ISP gave me seems to have problems with the app store being accessed from my device. If this isn't a problem for you, you could sync music from Rhythmbox and just use the device's app store to manage apps.

5. Mariomaster100

Sorry meant bricking the device and someone told me I have to put a special filter on virtualbox, and I don't know how to do that.