Why won’t my iPod show up in Windows 7?

Annaliza Sapico March 23, 2012

I was trying to transfer my music from my iPod to my laptop which is running Windows 7. When I went to go look at the files, it listed my iPod only as a external hard drive disk and not as “my iPod”. I have tried everything, and it won’t show up. It works fine on my desktop that is running Windows XP. How do I get it to show up in Windows 7 as “my iPod”?

1. Lizz

how did you get your iPod to transfer songs from Windows XP?
    My iPod doesn't even show up when i try going to my computer or desktop, it only shows the camera device of it and not the rest...

• Annaliza Sapico

On Windows XP, my iPod showed in "my computer" and I was able to transfer the music from my iPod to a music folder on my hard drive, and then from there load it into iTunes with no issue.  It was a timely process but worked for me

• tierney

annaliza, how did you get the files from the computer back into itunes?

in itunes, scroll down and see the status check enable disk use and manually  manage music and video

iPod: Appears in Windows but not in iTunes

How to fix your ipod if it isn't showing up on itunes

• Annaliza Sapico

I tried the apple support page when I originally had the issue, and it didn't help at all.  It still didn't give me the information that i was looking for.  Thank you though!

iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows

iPod not appearing in iTunes

Quit iTunes then Plug in the iPod see if it recognized?

1- Go to Control Panel
        2- Open "System"
        3- Click "Hardware" tab and click "Device Manager"
        4- Find and maximize "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
        5- Right click "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver". Click "Uninstall" (If it's not installed, get it with Itunes.)
        6-reboot and replug ipod

if still do not work uninstall itunes and all related components
        reboot reinstall iTunes and replug ipod

• Annaliza Sapico

thanks for all that info.  I will definitely give that a go and see if i can get it to work from there. 

• Eli

solved all of my problems right when i was about to have a conniption lol.

3. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

Is it showing in iTunes at all? Do you store regular files on the iPod (use it as a usb thumb drive)?

I would almost uninstall iTunes, then reinstall iTunes and try it again and see what happens.

• Annaliza Sapico

It shows up in iTunes.  But it only shows in windows explorer as a Camera.  I don't use the iPod for anything else.  Just music.

I will probably uninstall it and see how it goes.