Why won’t my iPhone work after multiple firmware restores?

Troy Roden May 11, 2012

I got an iPhone from my friend who got the phone a little wet. It wasn’t working so he got a new one, but then the old one turned back on. All it did was boot to the “connect to iTunes” logo, so I decided to do this and restore the phone with iTunes.

Everything seems like it’s working and the restore completes but immediately goes back to the same “connect to iTunes” message. iTunes gives me the message saying it has detected an iPhone but it is in recovery mode and needs to be restored before it can be used with iTunes.

I have now done this multiple times but to no avail – the phone does the same thing. Any advice or tools to help me out would be great. I dont know if the phone was jailbroken or not, but im beginning to think it was and that has something to do with it.

1. Lee

Since it got wet, it's probably a hardware problem. There isn't much you can do about it because the damage has already been done. If you are able to, you could try opening it up and seeing if there's any obvious damage that could be fixed, otherwise you may be out of luck (assuming none of the other solutions worked).
    As another answer said, it being jailbroken before is completely irrelevant. It's something that only modifies the software, so once you restore (which re-installs the software) then all traces of the jailbreak are gone (assuming you aren't restoring from a backup).

2. Susendeep Dutta

You can get out of recovery mode loop by following the instructions below -

http://geekology.co.za/article/2009/08/how-to-get-an-iphone-out-of-the-recovery-mode-loop

You can also try -

1) Don't connect your iPhone to computer.

2) Hold Power and Home button for 20 seconds till Apple logo appears.

3) Then only hold Home button for 5 seconds.

4) Leave the Home button and wait for 20 seconds and see whether your phone comes back to life.

3. Laga Mahesa

Firstly, jailbreaking is a software hack, and therefore cannot possibly be permanent - all traces of a jailbreak are erased when you START a restore, never mind completing one, as the internal drive is erased.

Secondly, water damage may be causing this. The restore may well be completing okay, but a hardware error elsewhere caused by water could be preventing boot - eg, a short circuit in the headphone jack could cause the system to freak at boot time but not while restoring.

Try restoring again, but this time use DFU mode :

Plug in and turn off the phone.
    Hold POWER until the apple logo appears.
    Wait one second, then ALSO hold the HOME button.
    Wait until the apple logo disappears.
    Wait one second, then RELEASE the POWER button.

When iTunes notices the device and says it must connect to the internet to identify th device, you can let go of the home button and continue with the restore as normal.

4. Mike DeGeorge

Even if the phone was jailbroken, I believe the process is totally irreversible.(no matter the method) I jailbroke my iPhone before and restored it perfectly. The phone might not be working correctly from getting wet. Never ran into this problem before though.