Why isn’t my iPhone WiFi working properly despite strong signal?
Question by Mike Chung /

Why is iPhone WiFi so slow or not working, even when the signal strength is at full?

• tommy

my server on my ipod is not responding

• pceasies

I think there was a problem with iPads that sounded like that and may also have applied to some iPhones. A software update from Apple fixed the problem. You may want to check for updates and install any that are available.

There are a lot of possible reasons why a wireless connection doesn’t work. Besides the ones stated above I still can think of a few like maybe you need to enter the MAC-address of your iPhone in your router. If this MAC-addressing is enabled there that will probably solve the problem. You can find the MAC-address in your iPhone. To log on to your router you best take a computer who’s connected with it by wire since you’ll probably mess with the connection settings. You have the biggest chance to reach your router by surfing to http://192.168.1.1 . If it’s not that you’ll have to run ipconfig on the command line or look to your connection settings in the control panel.

So that is one possible way to solve the problem. If it is not that then probably it’s th following. I just don’t know if iPhones have this same problem, but I have kind of the same problem with my WII. I just can’t connect to the wireless network. The reason there is the router who just can’t interact with that gaming console? You best upgrade your router to the latest firmware. If that still doesn’t work than maybe your router is just not compatible with your iPhone.

Good luck!

This is one of my silly experience but it might happen to you too. My office provide us with a WiFi hot spot, but one day it stopped working and nobody could connect to the net desipite of the strong signal. It turned out that the cable that connect the router to the server is disconnected.

So it’s possible that your phone is not the problem. Have you tried connecting through WiFi from different locations?

• Steve Campbell

Mike,

Maybe go into your phone’s settings to make sure everything is turned on and working properly. Assuming you’ve already done that, there could be multiple factors to explain this. It could be a hardware issue or simply a connection problem with the network. I’m not a big fan of AT&T’s 3G network, but maybe it is something simple.

Are you trying to connect to a secured network? Maybe it requires a password. Have you tried connecting to other wifi networks and gotten the same result? If you have, maybe it would be worth it to pay AT&T a visit and have them look at your hardware.