How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

Django September 1, 2011

I have been trying to get my iPhone unlocked and am having zero luck. I first jailbroke it, then tried to unlock it via redsn0w. I tried this a few times as it never took. I also have restored it a few times in the process and that also never helped.

Now I’m stuck in a strange recovery mode that even after a restore sends me right back to the same place. It is saying “Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock”. My valid SIM is back home in Spain and I’m in the US. Any other way around this? Please help! Thanks!

ANy chance your phone is locked for use only in Spain with your operator? If that's the case you will need to do more other than jailbreak to be able to use it abroad. To be more specific you need somehting called Gewey Turbo Sim like you can see in the following video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkSAzF5hxZ8

The message "Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock" usually means that the SIM Card is not recognized correctly. I would try to reinsert it and carefully clean the contacts with some dry cloth (T-Shirt should do).

If this doesn't work you are probably best of heading to the next "Genious Bar" or iPhone carrier and [although it is possible for them to detect] you probably should not mention that you tried to jailbreak it. 

Just tell them you bought it from your carrier in spain, inserted the US SIM card which didn't work and then tried to restore iOS and got that screen. Of course if the conversation advances to them "accusing" you of jailbreaking you may want to admit that you tried to get your SIM working that way.

3. Mulder

Well, jailbreaking your iPhone is not a good idea, since any update of the iOS can turn it into a useless brick. If that's what's happened, don't count on Apple having any sympathy for you or helping you out of your predicament, since you voided the warranty.

The first thing you should try is contacting your carrier in Spain and asking them if they can send you (by FedEx or some other service) a new SIM card with your phone number, and no PIN lock. If so, that may solve your problem.

Also, depending on how long you've had your iPhone, your carrier in Spain may unlock it for you if you ask them; most have a minimum time of at least 90 days before they'll even consider it. It can't hurt to ask.

You could also try one or more of the posts here:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=recover+an+iphone+that%27s+been+jailbroken+and+then+restored

A post on the Apple Discussions forums might yield a solution, too.