Is it possible that my iPhone is being tapped?
Question by Jan Guinn /

Every once in a while, the screen on my iPhone 3GS lights up while not in use. Sometimes the phone seems to run slower than others. Is it possible that someone is spying on me via my phone?

• Aibek Esengulov

Check out following MakeUseOf article,

6 Possible Signs Your Cell Phone May Be Tapped

There was a similar question on MakeUseOf ANswers before.

How can I prevent my phone from being tapped?

• Viaarticles

no i dont think it depends on the device that is apple in this case , it depends on the service provider , it can be tapped if they want to .
    Rassik Fareed (digital manager )

• Craig

No.  Well…  at least no more than any other network.  Think about it, nobody is interested in civilian phone use.  Now, if you were very wealty, or played a major role in Wall Street, all the way on up to political national or world affairs…
    I dont know you, however I will take a wild guess that you have less than $100K in your checking account (money for this months entertainment).
    But hey, if Im wrong, can I have a couple hundred grand?

The iPhone screen lighting up usually happens when there was some sort of connection loss (cellular or WiFi). I can’t confirm if this also happens when only a service e.g. 3G is lost instead of the whole cellular connection but it’s possible.

Other options could be a faulty proximity sensor or a bug with your software. You could try to restore to factory defaults and instead of using a backup set it up as a new device and see if it keeps happening.

Being slow at times could very much be for the same reason (software error).

• Jeffery Fabish

I’m not familiar with mobile phones, but if I were to tap your connection (http transmissions, text messages, phone calls, etc) I wouldn’t need any software installed on your device. 

Applications called “packet analyzers” such as Wireshark & Cain and Abel can read unencrypted transmissions in plain text. 

So needless to say, I highly doubt it’s being tapped. Perhaps it’s a screen saver function and Apple just creates crappy products? That’s the Linux in me speaking.