Why is my iPhone 4 stuck at boot mode and how can I fix it?

XiaoBoy March 5, 2011

My iPhone 4.1 is stuck at the boot logo. I tried many ways and means, but to no avail. Even tried to connect to iTunes, but to my dismay I can’t do backup or restore because iTunes can’t even read the contents on my iPhone. I hope anyone can help me in this state. Anyways, my phone is jailbroken.

1. ritesh

hey guyz...
    i was jus trying to jailbreak my iphone 4 and now its just stuck on apple loho plzz...help my big bro willl kill me
    ios4.2.1

2. idgaf

my phone is jailbroken and i wont to take it off because my phone keeps turning off and loosing service and all these kind of things. sometimes it wont turn on after turning ff and right now i tried ti reset it and its still loading idk what to do.....help?

Try restoring and, very important, set it up as new. Then jailbreak
      http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/jailbreak-ios-5-0-1-iphone-4.html

One user faced similar problem the method mentioned in the link below by -

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/5614/iPhone+3G+keeps+turning+off+randomly,+even+with+full+charge...

layfield2 : -

"

i am unsure of your problem but my iphone used to shut off all the time on me until i did this fix which btw i am running IOS5.0.1 firmware on my iphone so the fix may or may not be for all the firmwares but give it a go any way :) here was my solution:

hello i believe I have finally found a solution to our problem guys and girls so here i will tell you exactly what to do step by step

Step 1. Shut off IPhone Or if your phone Just randomly shut off it may even work both ways i am unsure but try it both ways so if when you see this message your phone has not randomly shut off on its own try shutting it off manually first then if it still has the problem then when it does randomly shut off do as i say.

Step 2. make sure your vibrate switch is set as ring first before you do anything else. once that is done with you are going to do this sequence: switch the vibrate switch in this patter: start off at ring->Vibrate->ring->vibrate... pause for millisecond->Ring-> vibrate then hold the power button and the round button (homebutton) as if you were going to hard reboot the iphone for about 6-8 seconds now my device when i did this part it started up with out me having to let go but for others it should start up as soon as you let go but it seemed to work the way it happened for me although my iphone rebooted after holding those buttons for 3-4 seconds and then imediatly turned off again then i tried it AGAIn and it worked that time and ever since i did this "fix" it has been working fine minus the actual battery drainage software bug for IOS 5.0.1 but it hasnt shutoff on me randomly yet and i have gotten my iphone to finally go down further then 50% so it went to about 45% before i said i needed to charge it so i could use it the next day Hope i helped "

3. Gooch

Thanks mate solved my problem.

4. Ghayas007

my JB Iphone is stuck i use ur method but it does not work  last time i use (sib setting ) after that my i phone is stuck what i can do it can not connect to itunes

Hold the power button and home button for 10 seconds while keeping it connected to iTunes and the release the power button and keep holding home button for 5 seconds and then iTunes will detect your phone.

5. Austinkeigley

this is the same thing going on with me when i jailbroke my 4

6. Simon

YES!!! It worked... Thanks a lot.

7. Ace

god bless u mike thnx this iphone really got me mad

8. Dorulala18

Help please my dads iPhone froze I was loding mywi on demand then it turn off and a loading simbol is on screen please help me how I turn it off please

9. Alexander the Grate

Did u tried to restore ur phone from  back up ..I tune would restore it . if not re broke the dam thing if u have a friend with iphone ..hook it up and trick itune into restoring it from ur fiend iphone ..got nothing to lose ..in fact ur friend chicks # will end up @ ur phone list ..how cool it dat ..huh ...why apple make such nauseating device i wonder ..Love to hate it ...god luck champ 

10. Aman

its stck like that and wont go into recovery or dfu mode. please help!!

Usually when stuck there are two options:

(1) connect to USB, press and hold the Sleep/Wake + Home button until "something" happens (may take up to 15-30 seconds)

(2) wait until the battery runs out and the phone goes dark then connect it to USB using one of the previously mentioned methods (Recovery, DFU) ... ~ it may take some charging time before you will be able to get into either mode

A third one would be visiting an official support (Apple Store, Apple Service Provider, phone provider) however given that those things usually involve a jailbreak gone wrong you may not get the support you are looking for.

• Chekwongwong

hi mike,

how are you , my  JB iphone 4 install pdanet then struck in after apple logo and i just format my pc didt do any backup , any possible get back my photo before restore it? i try force restart and JB again also hang on same stage . it cant detect via itunes and other thid party software, but it can go in recovery mode, so please advice me how get back the photo, thank you

Personally, I have never attempted to recover data from an iPhone in recovery mode.

Since you tried to jailbreak it again I'm actually not sure there is any data left on the phone in the first place. 
      If your jailbreak requires a firmware to be loaded onto the phone chances are the data is gone. If your jailbreak uses some exploit to "inject" itself into the boot process things shouldn't have changed.

Since I don't jailbreak iOS devices that's pretty much all I know.

MUO Thread about recovering photos from "recovery mode".
      http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/recover-photos-iphone-stuck-recovery-mode/

ZiPhone apparently has an option to "kick it out of recovery mode".
      http://download.ziphone.org/

Since your device is technically jailbroken you might be able to open an SSH connection and backup the photos this way.
      http://msftguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/automatic-ssh-ramdisk-creation-and.html

11. Aman

mine is stuck like this and wont go into recovery or dfu mode

Try the method mentioned by user " layfield2 " from the forum link below -

" i am unsure of your problem but my iphone used to shut off all the time on me until i did this fix which btw i am running IOS5.0.1 firmware on my iphone so the fix may or may not be for all the firmwares but give it a go any way :) here was my solution:

12. Josueartiaga

thanks man it worked i already got it now to use it. (THANK YOU SO MUCH):)

13. Shawntick

my iphone is blank screen and the power button doesnt work and it was stuck in recovery when it suddenly turned off and when i connect it to itunes nothing happens

One possibility is that your battery died and it takes awful long to charge via USB [maybe duo to limited power output].

Personally I would try the wall charger for a few hours and see if anything happens.

14. Omar-m1900

please helppppppppppppppppppppppp

15. Omar-m1900

i tried to put my iphone in dfu mode ad it gives me a usb and itunes and itunes cant recognize my phone  then how am i able to put dfu mode if itunes cant recongize the phone

• Shawntick

take it out of recovery mode

You could try a different USB port and another docking cable. If neither helps try the wall charger to see if the connector is working at all.

If it does charge via the outlet I suggest to remove and re-install iTunes and all previously detected iOS or Apple devices within the device manager.

See "Reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Driver" in section "4. Verify that the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is installed" 
      http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538 

16. Tariqmohammed

omg thank you very mauch man your realy gunies sweet heart

17. AB

Thanks man....It works perfectly....I was bit worried....but thanks again for your suggentions.

18. Ilvia722002

Thanks so much, you solved my problem right way. Have a great day...

19. Sameer Usmani

Thank You, my iphone ws stuck at apple logo, tried what Mike said, and the problem resolved. God Bless You brother.

20. Ing Juancarloscardona

heroe*

21. juancarlos123

wow it worked!!! I was freaking out for real!! thank you you are my hereo

22. Bytediss1

Download tiny umbrella an remove cydia blobs sh's and then use iTunes restore

• laraj

how do you do this? ive tried everything and still no luck and now its constantly restarting....

• Rudraprasad05

Hi, my iPhone 4 version is 5.0.1 & it is untethered jailbreak. But I cann't restart or reboot my phone. If I turn off my phone it wouldn't turn on. After that I have to jailbreak again. Bytediss1 is your suggestion can solve my problem

23. Lomonica_cultura

thank you so much. It worked :)

24. jimmy

mike im having the same fproblem and ive tried those steps but what am i supposed to do once i restore it????

25. Seth_quimzon

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Nicolas Selendy

Thank you soooooo much you saved my thirteenth birthday!!! 

27. Navidh Cis

I reset my Iphone 4s to factory settings at start. Turns out now its telling me I need a sim which is not pinlocked =/ and.. I can't do anything on it now :(. Any software to help me bypass this? I do not have any sim from any service provider.

28. Tjlqk3

you are a life saver!!

29. Ralfx4

thank you man this is really helpfull!!

30. Cypruspic

Is it possible to restore without the SHSH of the version I want?? cause accidentaly iTunes started the upgrade to 4.3.5 and I want to mantain 4.3.1 but no SHSH saved, I'm looking foruns for a week now and not even one clue...can u help me???

thx in advance

31. Baz671

my iphone is stuck on recovery mode .
    i've try restore it but it swich off and on and make this step imposible to complete
    itunes end up with a little windows saying that the divice has some kind of error like 1604 or 1613.
    i tried tinyumbrella , recoberyfix.exe, recbook, libusb, and many more ...
    but still , it wont restore ,
    one more thing, the phone wont know its imei numbre.
    i checked in lots of webs trying every single tip,
    i don't know what can i do to make this phone to restore to latest firmware ,
    any suggestions ???? any body could tell me if that phone is fixable or not???
    thanks guys..
    best regards

Baz,

we had a similar question recently, maybe you can find a solution there: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/pwned-dfu-mode-iphone-4/

Otherwise, please ask a new question. Thank you!

32. Sachin

MY iphone4 is blank it didn't start after jailbreak....

Sachin,

I recommend that you ask a new question.

Have you tried holding the power button and home button for 15 seconds and holding only home button for 5 seconds while keeping it connected to iTunes which might detect your phone and start restoration process.

33. raj

My i phone was too stuck thinks for the. it work when i connected to i tune and with usb cable and press hold sleep and home button till i saw apple logo. thanks

Xiao,

did you follow the advice above and did it fix your iPhone? Please give us some feedback, so we know whether you're ok or whether need more help. Thank you!

• Xiao

Hi Tina,yes i am able to restore my IPhone but im truly disappointed that i have lost all my datas,contacts,photos(memorable ones),work notes,and many more.It would be a pleasure if theres any software that could retrieve those lost data from the IPhone itself.Tnx so much for the help u guys have given me :)

Xiao,

glad to hear you could fix your iPhone. There may be a way to recover your data, but you better ask a new question in case Mike doesn't know the answer. :)

Normally, when you restored your iPhone via iTunes it will ask you whether you want to Set up as a new iPhone or Restore from the backup of.

Restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
      http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

If you skipped this step or selected "Set up as new iPhone" those restore points are overwritten. Probably the only way to get them back is to look into an recent User or System backup [in case you did one]. They use the extension .mdbackup. The files are stored in one of the following directories:

On a Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

On Windows XP: Documents and Settings(username)Application DataApple ComputerMobileSyncBackup

On Windows Vista and Windows 7: Users(username)AppDataRoamingApple ComputerMobileSyncBackup

And then there are options to do an iPhone Recovery using Software (or a local Recovery Service):
      http://www.formatted-recovery.com/
      http://www.iphonedatarecovery.org/

I have no experience with iPhone Recovery but it is reported to be very effective as long as you haven't synchronized hundreds of files back to the iPhone in the meantime.

One thing I missed:
      If you restored your iPhone on a different System (not the one you usually synchronize with) those iPhone backups should still be in place!

In that case you can either copy the files from this system or directly connect the iPhone to it. Then restore the Firmware again and this time wait for it to finish and select Restore iPhone from the Backup

For everything else you should open a new question as Tina suggested. Other people might have other or better ideas to restore or recover your old data.

• Dreiversosa

thank you mike.... 

Why your iPhone is stuck in the boot is something you have to answer yourself.
    What did you last do before it got stuck? Maybe a failed Firmware upgrade, maybe a failed attempt to jailbreak it. Maybe it is plain broken...

As for solutions you can try to get into Recovery Mode:
    1. connect your iPhone to the USB cable
    2. hold Sleep/Power and Home button until the iPhone reboots
    3. when the screen turns black release Sleep/Power but keep holding the Home button
    4. when you see the iTunes Logo on the iPhone Screen you can release Home
    5. open iTunes and use the Restore option for the iPhone

Try the same in DFU Mode:
    1. connect the iPhone to the USB Cable and open iTunes
    2. turn off the iPhone
    3. press and hold Sleep/Power and Home button for 10 seconds
    4. release the Sleep/Power button but keep Home pressed
    5. iTunes should recognize an iPhone in recovery mode
    the iPhones screen should be black this time

• Eric the Viking

The DFU mode worked for me thanks very much. I have an iPhone 4 that was jailbroken and it stopped connecting to itunes and was eventually jammed at the startup screen. But the DFU mode worked fine. I have now taken it back to standard. 

• arpan

Thanx a lot mate. U just solved my big problem.
      I appreciate u a lot.
      May GOD bless u

• Vip

i love u man   it was a big big hint  wow  thanks a lot  
      now my phone is back online and working  u the best man 

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Mikesilva188

It freaking worked!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

• PRINCESSLICOS

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK!!!!
      YOURE SUCH AN ANGEL

• Nik

YOU. ARE. A GENIUS!!  I never knew about DFU mode!! You saved my Dad's phone LITERALLY the day before he was leaving the country!!!!  THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Adrian Boshnjaku

Thanks man you saved me.

• Yousef_hatim

Thank u solo much!!!!

• Herman

Hey mike, both of your solution doesn't works on my iphone 4. It stated error 3014 and i'm still stuck on apple logo, any other solutions?

Error 3014 usually means that iTunes couldn't contact the Apple server at gs.apple.com

Maybe some firewall or so blocked iTunes out of contacting the Apple server.

If you have been using TinyUmbrella or something similar (jailbreak) make sure that there are no left-over entries in your hosts file.

• Goofy502

hey mike both solution didnt work for my iphone 3g it gives me error 1015