What can I do if my iPhone 4 won’t charge anymore?

Sarah Just-Sarah October 9, 2012

My iPhone 4 has stopped charging. I have tried four different cables, none work. One was brand new, but it will charge on an old Dick Smith brand iPod dock in the office at work. I can’t connect to my PC with it either. Any ideas?

1. afly

Old post, but im finding a quick sweep with an air duster gets it going again

My phones old ;(

2. Crick

I h ave 2 iPhones that do not charge. Its not the cables computer or anything. I have restored the phones to factory defaults. Made sure my itunes software was up to date. And I even bought new batteries for the phones. The phone will recognize the charger with a plug symbol on the battery logo, but if it was charging there would be a lightning bolt. And please people do not send your iphones to apple and pay 79$ for them to replace your battery. I payed 8$ for the exact same battery on Ebay and let me tell you a 4 year old can reinstall the battery. you just unscrew the bottom 2 bolts. then when your looking at the iphone, just unscrew the 1 bolt that holds the battery in place, and pry the battery connector out and place the new one in. Very simple. I hate seeing greedy apple make bank! off of such an easy thing to do. But ya please let me know if anyone else has had this problem with the battery.

3. JP

Also same for those who have used many different cables, for some reason a docking station will charge usually because they charge at a slower rate then cables.

4. JP

I work in IOS Dept for Apple, the phone not charging but only charging on a docking station could more likely be a power management issue(#1) OR Dock Connector needs replacement, a bad pin(#2). Its a little microchip that sits on the motherboard and requires to soldering. Tuff job to do so check on your out-of-warranty fee at http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

Hope this helps.
    JP

5. Katelyn

My Iphone 4 wont charge when i plug it into the wall. Ive switched cables, blocks, ive cleaned it all out. blown it all out, ive plugged up my husbands iphone and it charged in the wall on both cables and both blocks. When i plugged it into my laptop on my iphone cord, it charges it. What could be wrong?

6. benard sikolia

my iphone is not charging i have tried three different cables but it is not picking

7. jonathan

same happened to me in New Zealand recently i think the voltage from the campsite messed it up, it only charges when its off and iTunes doesn't recognize it, im looking on the forums for solutions.

8. Sashritha Peiris

Contact apple apple.com/support

9. Giggity Goebbels

Enter dfu and restore to factory defaults and reinstall itunes

10. Nick Sharma

Go to nearest Apple Service Center. And, please don't call me captain obvious, :D

• Poopinpants

Yeah, he's been promoted to Major :(||)

11. Roi Ezekiel Arcega

Its either your one of your charger's connector pin is cold solder/broken or its dirty. My advice is go to an Apple Service Center for this issue. Hope it helps.

12. Lieschen Müller

1. Try charging with a known good cable (as you did), power adapter + known good power outlet; to exclude the adapter with known good cable and high-powered USB port at the computer
    2. If still some power left try force-restoring it via iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808 (iOS: Unable to update or restore)
    3. Last chance: Restore in DFU mode.
    - on the computer launch iTunes, connect the iPhone
    - press both the home- and sleep/wake buttons, release the sleep/wake button after 6 seconds, keep the home button pressed until iTunes notifies you that it recognized an iPhone in recovery mode
    - restore the iPhone -- but beware, all data are gonna be lost
    4. If all that fails your device will have to be serviced, contact Apple Care or the closest Apple Retail Store

• Lieschen Müller

p.s.: making shure that the dock connector is clean of dust or debits won't hurt...

13. Steve Chi

you should get a new one and sell the old one

14. Erlis Dhima

Two problems that come in my mind now:
    1. Driver Problem (probably not)
    2. Connector problem (I mean place where you put the recharger on the mobile.. probably it's unattached to the board.. Go to a customer care.. It's very easy to repair, and it will not cost you..)

If it is a driver problem, better back-up your data, and factory reset your mobile..
    Hope it helps!

15. Chetan Sood
  16. Alex Perkins

If it can't be fixed then sell it on eBay, maybe someone else can fix it. Or turn it into a piece of art or a paper weight.

17. Chee Yong Hsia

Keep it connected, it might charge (after a long time).

Your charging port most likely has a pin that is damaged. Possible repair at Apple store.

19. Harish Jonnalagadda

Go to the carrier service outlets. They would be able to figure out the issue.

Visit the link below to check some basic things -

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphoneipodbattery/tp/Iphone-Wont-Charge.htm

Also,try factory reset to see if it helps or not.

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476

perhaps iTunes problem, maybe to reinstall or update*;
    Check if you have USB monitoring tools (some antivirus security tools monitor USB) that are preventing recognition.

open task manager and go to services, locate Apple Mobile Device then Click "Stop the Service," and then "Start the Service."

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

• Lieschen Müller

sorry, but how the hell is this related to charging the battery?

well if windows do not clearly recognize ipod then this can cause charging problems, unless USB charging and Windows recognition are two separate mechanism.

now if the problem comes from within ipod then best to buy a new one.

• Lieschen Müller

I apologize!
          In case the iPhone won't charge only at that particular computer which doesn't recognize it you' re right, at least if it doesn't recognize it at all. If device only not seen in iTunes it should nonetheless charge...

Might have not gotten all details of the question right, promise - next time I'll inquire before posting ;-/

22. Another Googler

Contact Apple customer care.