Why won’t my iPhone 3G charge properly?

Nancy May 5, 2010

Every now and then my iPhone 3G doesn’t charge completely. It will charge for a short period of time, and then the icon will show that it’s fully charged, even though it isn’t.

I read somewhere that doing a hard reset would solve the problem and, for a while it seemed as though it had worked, but now it’s happening practically every day.

Is there anything that I can do to solve this or does the battery need to be replaced?

1. Taig

I have a similiar problem I charge my iPhone and it says it is three quarters charged but it acts like it is full and works for arleast 8 hours without needing the be charged and it doest restore or update

2. ├Žnon1mus

3.1.3 addresses the battery indicator issue although it is actually for the 3GS. I'm not sure if it will work for the 3G. Do you usually charge via USB? Have you tried plugging it in directly to a power outlet?

• nm

I've tried both ways - directly into the power outlet and through the computer - either way - I have the same issue.

I'm not sure if I can upgrade to 3.1.3 - I'll have to check to make sure I can still jailbreak it cause I use Ultrasn0w. I'm worried that it's a hardware issue and that eventually the battery will give out - I just hope it waits until the new iPhone is out before it does that.

3. nm

I'm running 3.1.2 - and it's also jailbroken

4. ├Žnon1mus

Nancy, what firmware are you running?