Can I use an iPhone 3G 16GB as a pocket PC?

Tony January 2, 2012

A friend of mine is selling his iPhone 3G 16GB for $60. If I buy it, could it be used just as a tablet?

I don’t want to buy iPod Touch. Just need a pocket PC like the old Palm Pilots (Zire etc. ). He said that I could. It has all the applications on it

Thanks and Happy New Year!

1. Kc

I did the same thing. Bought an IPhone from someone for super cheap. He cleared it for me. I didn't have to jailbreak it or anything...there is no sim card...I plugged it into my home computer iTunes opened...and just like that it worked. I can download music apps anywhere wifi is I have Internet (without cost) I also have free wifi calling (again...no sim card...no calling plan...no jailbreaking). Just a little research on the computer! Best of luck to you!

well palm applications cant run on iphone unless you find emulators, if palm type handsets you want, you should be able to find one cheaper keyboard included like sony clie NX80. Also without itunes you cant do much with iphone unless to jailbreak, so if you are not familiar with itunes then perhaps go to real palm.

As for using it like an iPod touch ~ of course, yes.

The only little hiccup is that the iPhone has to be activated via iTunes once (can be done e.g. using your own or friends SIM card)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3406

Once it is activated you can take out the SIM card and use it offline or via WiFi as you wish.