Why can’t I use my iPad as an iPhone?
Question by Satyanarayana M /

When I use a SIM to gain Internet access on my iPad, why can’t it be used as a phone also with some additional software? It seems like I should be able to since the cost is about the same, and then I wouldn’t need to carry both.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , .
Awesome iPhone Apps
Awesome iPhone Apps
Essential iOS Tips
Essential iOS Tips
Jailbreaking iOS
Jailbreaking iOS
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple TV Tips
Apple TV Tips
iPhone Games Worth Playing
iPhone Games Worth Playing

• Matt Sawyers

I use VOIP on my iPad. I believe there are a few free services out there, but I personally use a paid one (mainly due to reliability issues). I use Toktumi. I believe the app is free in the app store and contains a free 30-day trial. You can get a local number & it has unlimited minutes & texts per month for $14.95/month (i think it comes out cheaper if you pay for it yearly). Just my $0.02

• Paul Carr

I assume you need a dataplan from at&t or other carrier to us a VOIP app if you’ll ever be outside of wifi range?

you dont see too many people carrying ipad on the street to use it as a phone, this is the philosophy of APPLE.

• Tuukka

Because Apple has chosen a different kind of product profile for the iPad than the iPhone. In plain English it means that Apple thinks (and is quite correct in it’s assumption) that allowing phone functionality in iPad would hurt iPhone sales.

Technically there is no reason why the iPad 3G (1 or 2) couldn’t be used as a phone. Actually there is software (google it) to enable regular phone functionality in the iPad. But naturally you wouldn’t find that in Apple’s app store. To use it you have to jailbrake your iPad and buy the software from Cydia (the other app store).

Hello, the following link will answer your question a little bit:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/ipad-mini-sim/

• Achraf52

It doesn’t contain GSM chip .

• Tuukka

Actually the iPad 3G does have GSM chip. At least the GSM/AT&T/whatever-version does. The iPad wifi does not. And as Aibek has the 3G version (wifi only does not have SIM card), he could use it as phone as I described below…

• Achraf52

Hi, good so as I have not seen it in specifications, so it is lack of software and the user should have iPad 2 with 3G version to use third party apps .