Can I use my iPad as a drawing pad for my PC?
Question by Corey Pataky /

I am a new owner of the new iPad and am looking to further what I can use it for. I am a designer and as the artistic type am looking to use the iPad (with stylus) as a drawing pad for my computer in programs like Photoshop. Not in the sense that one whould visualize the drawing on the iPad but more like a Wacom drawing pad is used. Where it controls the mouse on the screen so to attain hand drawing capabilities that are then translated to the document seen on the computer screen.

• Dalsan

Taken from:

Air Display: Use Your iPad as a Multi-Touch Display
    Air Display is another app that really pushes the iPad away from being a novelty and towards being a serious asset to a designer’s arsenal. With this app, you can use your iPad as a second display for your desktop computer.

Just like any normal multiple display setup, you can set your iPad next to your computer screen and drag windows to and from Windows or OS X. When you’re working with multiple graphics applications, anything that gives you a little extra screen real estate is a huge help. This is especially true for those of us that work full-time on a laptop.

The awesome benefit of using your iPad as a second display is that, with Air Display, you retain the benefits of having a touchscreen. This means that you can drag Photoshop over to your iPad and use your stylus to paint, draw and perform any other action you want.

Using this setup, you can transform your iPad into a full-blown drawing tablet for Photoshop and Illustrator. Not some watered-down mobile versions of these apps mind you, the real versions.

A quick drag action is all you need to swap back and forth between actions that you think are better performed with a mouse on your desktop PC versus those that merit direct interaction on your iPad. A bit of lag and no pressure sensitivity means that it’s not quite a Wacom Cintiq, but it’s close!

I really enjoy using my iPad as an input device in this fashion. It’s great to be able to break away from the mouse and sketch out something quickly by hand without sacrificing the powerful toolset found in Adobe apps. Air Display is well worth the $9.99 download.