Why is my IP address on Facebook wrong?
Question by Tina Segmiller /

My IP address is 24.63.xxx.xxx which should be Montpelier VT. The location is showing as Lynn MA when I am on Facebook. I do not have the option to end the session. The only computer I have for Facebook is at the Montpelier VT location.

[edited to remove IP address]

• Lisa Thomas

I am having the same problem, if you find out why tell me. I also have it showing that I have three requests, but then flashes to two right away. It said I was in Gambrills, MD, then Williamsport, MD. I am in Frederick. I have had a hacker, and wonder if this is why? Can someone help?

• Oron

As Jeff says, the location is only an approximation. In fact, it’s more of an educated guess since the topological (numerical) and physical networks do not correspond completely. Just ignore the location!

• Diana

Last night I posted on a friends wall & it said I was “near Los Angeles, CA” but I’m in Iowa. Is this what you are talking about when you said their locations are just plain wrong? 

• Jay.0

There will be only one ip address in your sessions that will match with your current ip address, this happens with me also.

Because I hibernate pc, and switch off the router,
    so when I turn my pc on  the next time, the ip address will be different,
    but as the previous session is still alive, facebook will keep displaying the old ip address.

if you logout and destroy all the sessions, then it will display the correct ip address.

and it is true that facebook does not show correct location, you wil have to depend on device name.

Are there more than one sessions ?
    if there is only one session then you don’t have to worry.
    if there are more than one sessions, then check  IP address of both the sessions are the same or not.
    if both are different , then look up the second ip address which is not yours.
    have you used other devices to use facebook ?
    What happens when you click on end activity?

It is a fault of Facebook that it cannot detect locations correctly from ip, even my account displays my location wrong, my original location is 20000 KM away from the location fb is displaying.

But the Ip address is correctly displayed, so it is simple, the session is yours, the location is wrong, you don’t have to end this session, as it is your current session.

You never get the option to end activity from account security.
    you have to logout to end your session.
    End activity option is to log out any other session, which is active.

So everything is alright,
    but you have made a mistake by giving your IP address.
    It is something you should never share and especially on a public place like you did right now.

Just restart your modem and computer.

• muotechguy

Good catch Jay, I edited it out. 

Thanks muotechguy!  I learned something new today.  

• Tina Segmiller

Thank you Jay. I have tried ending my sessions and that doesn’t work either.  I checked the routing of the IP address and neither location that is showing up is part of the route.  This morning I am still showing wrong locations.

• Jeff Fabish

Your IP Address is hardly private.

Facebook uses IP GeoLocation which isn’t exact, it’s just an estimate. If you feel that it’s entirely off, someone else may be using your facebook account.

• Jeff Fabish

Your IP Address is hardly private.

• Donna

Jeff waht of the last 5 numbers of my real IP address are off?
      ie: 000.000.00.000
      I have been on and off FB all day…Each time my location has varied between two states…AND I AM NOT TRAVELING and I am in a third DIFFERENT STATE NEAR.