What is involved in developing a social networking web site?

Anonymous May 17, 2014

Hello MakeUseOf. I have a idea of social networking site which it is totally different comparing to Facebook & Twitter but templates which used in Facebook & Twitter, that is the requirement for my concept. I am not a web developer and I don’t have a huge amount of money for development, so what are the requirements for that social site and required programing languages?

There are several programming languages (e.g. Python, PHP and JavaScript) which are often used in this kind of site, as well as other coding standars (HTML, CSS). However, while an experienced programmer might be able to put a small social networking site together on their own, or with a few colleagues, a real, live and busy site is way beyond the realm of what you can do on a small budget. Not only would you need more programmers, maintenance people etc, but you will need to pay for suitable servers and bandwidth, and for other people to run the business (promotion, PR, accounts, HR etc).

I don't want to simply put you off, but if you think your idea could go big, you have to think big to begin with. Work out the business plan, find investors and employ people who know the technology and the business. You won't be able to simply do this on your own if your budget is limited.