Is it possible to invert file selections on OS X like it is on Windows?

Steven Lam October 26, 2012

I use both Windows and Mac OS X. In Windows, there is a function under Edit that lets me invert my selection. That is, I select only files that I don’t want and once I click on Invert Selection under Edit, all the files that I didn’t select will be selected instead.

Is there similar functionality to this under Mac OS X?

1. Christopher Webb

Hmmm, I haven't heard of it. They should definitely take a look at adding it to the next OS though.

2. Saurav Azad

refer osxdaily.com they have lot of shortcut and tweaks on osx.
    and yes it is possible using command and shift key

3. Jan Fritsch

Well, while one working option has been provided I personally NEVER use as it is getting really cumbersome at a higher amount of files.

Frankly, I believe the easiest thing is to simply move the files you don't want to select out of the folder and then press cmd + A.

Moving them would only cause problems for files currently used by an application (which should be closed beforehand anyway then) or system files.

4. Mulder

Yes, you can do this in Mac OS X; it's always been there, and it works in Icon view, Column view, or List view (not with CoverFlow).

With Icon view, select any icons you like, and to invert your selection, hold down the Shift or Command key, click in empty white space in the window and drag-select everything in the window, top to bottom. If you did it right, your selection is now inverted.

In List view or Column view, select any files or folders in those views and to invert them, hold down the Shift or Command key, click in empty white space at the top of the column or list and drag the cursor all the way to the bottom; your selection is now inverted.

This will take some practice, unless you have extremely wide Finder windows with plenty of white space in these views.

5. vivek yadav

i dont think so....