Why is my internet not working unless I restart?
Question by seven 24 /

I’m using Chrome, Windows 7, and from time to time my internet stops working. When that happens, I open Firefox and IE, but still no internet. It only starts working after I restart the computer.

The odd thing is that my mom uses a laptop, and she’s having the same exact problem. We recently had our cable provider install a new cable modem, but the problem still persists. I also reset the router, but to no avail. My Mom’s laptop also has Windows 7, McAfee Antivirus Plus, and we’re both sharing a router.

Does someone have any suggestions? Any help would be great!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Awesome Websites
Awesome Websites
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Smart Home Security
Smart Home Security
Smart Home Q&A
Smart Home Q&A
Home Entertainment
Home Entertainment

• pceasies

When it happens, try pressing Windows Key + R to open the Run box.

Type
    ipconfig /renew
    and hit ok. See if that fixes that problem. If so, it’s a problem with your router.

Try disabling your firewall and anti-virus and see if that helps. If the problem persists even with those two disabled, the best solution is to call your provider and tell them about the issue. 

If it effects multiple devices I would say the issue with with the DHCP server or in case you are using WiFi the authentication taking too long.

As for DHCP make sure the lease time is not set to a reasonable time e.g. 180 minutes.

As for WiFi try lowering the encryption (if possible, WPA2 is of course fine) and disable things like those “boost” features, CTS Protection etc. For the remaining settings at best keep them at the suggested defaults.

Hello, have you checked if there is any firmware update for your router?  Did you have this problem before modem was changed? Does this happen with wired and wireless?  When this happens, have you tried using the windows 7 troubleshooter?

— click on start
    — type troubleshooter in search bar
    — click on Network and Internet
    — start with clicking on Internet Connections troubleshooter and then click on next. 
    — if that does not help try Network adapter troubleshooter

When this problem happens, have you tried disabling/enabling your network card in device manager?  I would also check the power management configuration for your card.

• Jay.0

Did it reconnects when you restart the modem instead of pc ?

try to reset TCP/IP, use microsoft fix it
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357