Why does my internet stop working randomly anytime it wants?

Jay Forestal February 28, 2012

I’m running Windows XP. My main computer isn’t Windows 7. This problem has been going on for at least a month. I can only do temporary fixes like resetting the router.
I have gone through a lot of forums trying to figure out how to fix this problem permanently. Any help please?

One more thing: When I reset my router, I make sure UPNP is on, and I have a DMZ server, and I set the IP address to: use static IP address and I put the DNS servers to
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.1

Please help!

1. Kaashif Haja

If you use a splitter, remove it and directly connect the wire to your modem!
    It might help...

2. Larry_m7

Excatly what is your set up? The common way things are hooked up is that a wire (cable or telephone wire0 comes into the house and goes to a modem. If you want to serve more than one computer, you would then connect the modem to a router. Usually the ISP provides the modem. If this is your set up, then plug the modem directly into a computer.

If the problem goes away then the problem is with router. The easiest solution is to replace it.

If the problem is still there then either it is with the modem or directly with the network. Both should be the responsibility of the ISP.

3. Jaymixer305

sorry guys im kinda slow at understanding.. can you give instructions. i have comcast an my router is netgear wgt624 v3 an it comes with some sort of security software in it

4. David Gitonga

Try setting your router to DHCP so that it automatically configures itself to pick an IP address and the DNS servers. I do that with my router and even when my internet connection is lost, it automatically connects when the connection is back on. Hope this helps

5. Jay.0

It can also happen if you are not receiving continuous connectivity from your ISP.
    or a hardware problem in router.

6. C Beavers

Do you have any Software relating to TCP Boost, these are boosters that have a variety of internet setting tweaks to speed up your computers internet speed. If so   you need to make sure the settings are appropriate for your area, plus your service provider will also have different parameter settings. When you have both working in sync your internet connection should be safe and sound.(no- disconnect) Please note, Jay that changing any parameters to your computers software needs to be written down so you can check as things will change with only the slightest tweak. Be absolutely sure you create a restore point to return to as you will make many changes correcting the issue you have. TIP.- use all the professional help you can muster either from the net or from the most experienced computer user you know. Take your time.    

Ok, so the problem is fix when you reset the router, and everything is back to normal? What kind of router do you have, as in make and model?

Do you use internet connectivity on all machines or just your main computer? What kind of internet do you have? 

Did you make any changes to your network before the issues started that you can remember?

Hello, have you checked what the lease time for your connections are?  Are the static IP addresses just for your server?  If the desktops have dynamic addresses check for the lease time.  What kind of server do you have?  Is it constantly doing background tasks like backups and such?   That can have a heavy effect in your network.  Also sometimes it is just not a matter of checking or  resetting your router, it is also a matter of your modem.  Maybe you could talk to your ISP and ask them to check it or exchange it.