Why does my internet slow down all of a sudden?

Alex March 22, 2010

My downloads were slow one day. I thought this was normal since I shared an internet connection with my siblings. Then, this continued. It went from 250 KB/sec to around 70 – 80 KB /sec. I scanned my computer for viruses and it didn’t detect anything. Why is it so slow?

ALSO : I keep getting Trojan Gen. notifications from my Norton 360 telling me that 1572419169.tmp is infected? This happens frequently.

1. Harrison

You can restart your router, thats what did it for me

2. Edwinramos10

Check your bandwith?  Reduce the size of your bandwidth

3. Osadihfosaidfh

Your not alone.

I have experienced this SLOW DOWN all of a sudden in the past few weeks. I would be browsing fine and then it wouldnt even load the google search page!

I have a Realtek RTL8191SE NIC in a Medion Akoya E7214 Laptop. I am using firefox.

I got so frustrated with this issue I wiped my HD and reinstalled win 7. It was working awesome and then, wham again!!!!!!!!!! F*ck!!!!!!!!!! no viruses,no maleware.

So now I have narrowed it down to NIC card, ISP or my BIPAC 7300G router. Most likely my NIC card though.

Nobody want to take responsibility for this issue which is crazy!

4. Bad_vinay

The software seems useful to me. Thanks a lot to you.

5. Taty

The first obvious question is, do you have a secure wifi connection? because if you don't , you could have neighbors enjoying the free internet too. Considering all of you are experiencing the same problem, chances are it's a router, modem or company issue. Disconnect the router temporarily and test the connection coming directly from the modem to your computer. If it's still slow, call the company and let them deal with it. It might be a problem with the modem or with their line, which only they should try to solve anyway.

• Alex

My Internet Connection is protect with WEP 128? Or something like that. I doubt anyone but my family is using it.

Hi Alex,

did you sort out your internet speed issues? Did you find out what caused the slow down? Would be great if you could give us an update! Thank you. :)

If it is the second one, you should check with your ISP to see if you have gone over your data allowance. You should be able to do this by logging on to your ISP's website with your username and password and they should tell you. These are the steps for my ISP https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/support/Volume_usage_at_iiHelp

But there are numerious reasons why your internet could be slow. It's just a process of elimination

I would say either 1, you are downloading something, 2 you have downloaded something and you have run out of allocated bandwidth, so you ISP as shaped you to a slow speed. If it is slow for a few days, it should get back to normal in your new billing period.

• Alex

Hmm... I think the second one may be right.
      It's strange though, my browsing speed is very quick...
      Just the downloads are slow.

It happened to me as well when I was a Virgin broadband user (UK). The connection would automatically slow down when I would try to download large files on certain hours during the day. I called the support team and they confirmed this.

Probably they will ask you to upgrade to a higher plan to avoid that.

8. Alex

@Tina - I have removed the .tmp file many times. It keeps coming back however.
    Also, it's slow for all my siblings. I'm connected by wireless, while my sibling is directly connected to the router. It's a Gigaset SE567 if that helps.
    Another thing is, even if my sibling aren't on, it's still 70 - 80KB.

I would recommend you to reboot the router.

If that doesn't help follow the Troubleshooting guidelines here: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/tp/slow-network-connections.htm

Finally, you could contact your internet service provider and ask them what's up. Maybe it's a problem on their side. Possibly, others have complained as well.

• Alex

I did reboot it, and it helped ... a little. It now has an average of 100 KB. Thanks anyways. ^^

I think I should contact my ISP.

is the internet slow for just you or also for your siblings? Is it slow all the time or are there peak times?

Did you follow up on Norton's warning and remove the infected .tmp file?

Do you have a firewall activated that controls data transfers originating from your computer?

Did you ask your siblings whether they have started large downloads, lately? I used to have slow internet issue frequently at home when my brother ran huge downloads or played online games.

You could use a network monitor to find out whether increased usage is the reason why the internet slows down.

• Dennis manyura

Tina i would to ask why when i start downloading any file be it a music video or a software my internet starts to slow-down immediately. other machines can't surf anymore until i finish downloading. where could be the problem???? i use livebox with 1mb megabytes. please help

it sounds like the download is taking up all of your bandwidth. You can prevent this from happening by using a download tool that limits the bandwidth.

For a more detailed answer from one of our experienced contributors, I recommend you to ask a new question.