Why does the Internet on my laptop seem to be getting slower?

tarikyi January 4, 2012

The Internet seems to be getting slower and lower on my laptop. What is causing this and what can I do to make it faster?

Hello, Does this seem to happen also when you are using ethernet cable or only with wireless?  Does this seem to happen in peak hours? or also in off-peak hours? 

2. RayInLV

I'd just add this recent experience.   I am connected through a USB tether from my cell phone to this Laptop.   I have what my carrier calls unlimited access.Recently my speed dropped precipitously.  I found out the Unlimited was not unlimited High Speed, rather Unlimited access and I had a 2gig High speed limit.  Once I hit that limit, the speed drops.If you are under a similar program, you could be having your speed throttled due to contract limits by your carrier.Hot Spots suffer the same type of thing.  My Daughter has a newer phone that has this ability.  Here connection is wireless, but limits and throttling are similar if you go beyond what your carrier provides.

3. Jay.0

It is difficult to find the atual reason from the info you provide.

May be some program is using your internet.

It can be a malware problem like @ha14:disqus  said.

If it is a wifi connection, may be others are using your internet and downloading something.

In order to properly diagnose this issue, we would need a lot more information that what you provided us with. Have you tried cleaning up the temporary files off your computer and clearing your browser's cache? 

Optimize Your System To Run At Its Best With CCleaner

perhaps a malware infection, you can boot to safe mode and scan pc with malwarebytes antimalware and superantispyware.

also perhaps you set your security tool to a higher level and this can affect internet browsing.