Why can Internet Explorer not open PDF files?
Question by Trish /

I have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed and am using it with Windows 7.

My problem is that when I’m on an internet page (IE8) that has a link to a PDF, when I click on the link, I just get a rectangle box with a question mark in it. It’s like the computer doesn’t recognise Adobe and it doesn’t matter how many times I try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , .
Awesome Websites
Awesome Websites
Best Anonymity Tools
Best Anonymity Tools
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
New Security Breaches
New Security Breaches
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac Switchers
Mac Switchers

• Trish

Thanks to Mike, Fidelis, ha14 & Jonathan Mould, they were all good answers.  In the end I used ha14’s idea, but didnt do the Manage Add ons as I’m not that tech savvy and had no idea where to find this.  Anyway its working now.  Thanks again to Mike, Fidelis and Jonathan Mould, I will be keeping these emails, just in case I run into trouble again.
    Thanks.
    Trish

Is it possible you are running the 64bit Internet Explorer because there are known problems with 64bit and Adobe Reader. If so try using the 32bit version.

Hello, easiest way is to make sure that Adobe acrobat is your default program to open .pdf files.  Once adobe acrobat is your default .pdf file reader, no matter if you open a file on your explorer or on a browser adobe acrobat will open it for you.

In the Manage Add-ons dialog, select Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer
    Make sure Adobe Acrobat Control for ActiveX (pdf.ocx) is Enabled. If it’s disabled, enable the add-on and restart Internet Explorer.

1. Close your web browser.
    2. Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
    3. Choose Edit > Preferences.
    4. Select Internet in the list on the left.
    5. Deselect Display PDF in Browser, and click OK.
    6. Restart Internet Explorer

• Jonathan Mould

Try updating to IE9 or even better chrome or firefox. Also try Adobe Reader X.