Why is Internet Explorer saying “Internet connection lost, please try to connect again” when I can browse the web?

Kayla Anglin May 17, 2012

When I use Internet Explorer it is giving me a message saying “Internet connection lost, please try to connect again” (something a long those lines) however, I’m able to browse the Internet, and there are only two computers in the office doing this – the other computers are not..

Is this an update issue or something my ISP needs to be aware of?

1. Windowsisbettr

Do you have any firewalls or anti-virus software enabled?
    McAfee is notorious for internet paranoia.

2. Sachin Kanchan

using 'internet explorer' is like 'dancing' out in the public 'naked' shouting that you 'love' 'justin bieber'

come on ...dump that shit and move on to something worthwhile...give firefox, or chrome a chance... ;-)

• Windowsisbettr

Not very relevant.
      Unless you have something constructive to say, you should probably refrain from commenting.

• Sachin Kanchan

extremely sorry, will keep that in mind

• Windowsisbettr

Thats fine, but unless you can offer solutions, swearing and criticism won't help.

3. Oron

Kayla, I'm a little puzzled by "I'm able to browse the Internet". Do you mean (1) that the problem only happens occasionally, or (2) that that you can browse the internet on other computers?
    At any rate, if you have internet access on some computers, then it's not your ISP's problem.

Those computers may not be able to connect to Microsoft's servers. The later versions of IE attempt to contact Microsoft servers as a troubleshooting mechanism. If you are not reaching those servers, you will get this error even if you can get to other Internet sites. It is likely that you have issues with your DNS resolver, your hosts file or you have a bit of software that is preventing those connections. You can try to flush the DNS cache on the affected systems by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and press Enter. You can check your hosts files by typing "notepad %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (again without the quotes) and pressing Enter. The file that gets loaded into notepad will normally have either no lines uncommented (they all start with a #) or there will be one listed as '127.0.01. localhost' and another as '::1 localhost". It is rare for those 2 lines to be uncommented though. As a last resort (since the other 2 are faster), you should do a complete scan of your system in Safe Mode by at least 1 anti-virus scanner and one anti-malware scanner such as Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D.