Why won’t Internet Explorer install on my PC?

Lindsey Brough April 26, 2012

I bought a laptop last year. It has Google Chrome on it.

I need any Internet Explorer as im in the UK and my British Gas And Energy site needs IE.

However, whenever I try to install Internet Explorer, it doesn’t work. It says it is installed, but in fact it isn’t on my computer.

1. Usman Basha

Hi, I don't have IE in my laptop, and I have checked the "Add/Remove Windows components", where IE showing 0.00 MB, and I have tried to install IE from several setup files available in Internet, but No result.

I have some sites that opens only in IE [http:\\203.77.193.55/epermit]

Please give me a solution.

Waiting for Your kind reply...

2. Gordon Hay

Whoever told you that you need IE to access British Gas was talking BS - I am a British Gas (actually Centrica) on-line customer and I access my accounts, submit meter readings, etc. with Firefox (default) or Chrome.

• lindsey brough

I HAVE to have IE. i have a pre pay top up card and ive been sent a top up meter for my home to so i dont need to go to the shops. It runs on IE only

• Kannon Y

Hey Lindsey! As others have suggested, IE is most likely available on your computer to some degree. Try the following steps:

Go to: "Add or remove programs"

In the left pane, clikc on "Turn windows features on or off":

http://i.imgur.com/i8yvk.png

You should see IE9 as an option:

http://i.imgur.com/i8yvk.png

Check it and hit ok. It it worked, IE should reinstall itself.

3. DaveTheCompGuy

Is this a laptop, or possibly a netbook? If it's the latter and running something like Android or the Chromium OS, it would explain why you don't seem to have IE.

On the other hand, if you're running any form of Windows, go to Start > Run and type in "iexplore". If IE is there, it should start up.

4. Jawsh

Rather than use actual ie, why not use the ie extension for chrome?

• lindsey brough

Ii HAVE to use IE - to use a thing british gas sent me.. it only works on IE

5. Achraf52

It doesn't mean it isn't in your computer if it isn't in your desktop, try searching it in Start menu, then click it right and send it to your desktop to have a shortcut installed .

• lindsey brough

its no where on my laptop.. ive searched program files and everything

In windows 7 Internet Explorer is a feature (Turn Windows Feature On or Off) look inside and see if it is enabled
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

7. Kyem Ghosh

chk in 'C:\Program files' if there's a folder named internet explorer. If its really installed, you should get this folder. Open it and click on the internet explorer icon. You must have deleted the shortcut from your stat menu or desktop or from the quick launch bar.

8. David Darroll

You have IE on your computer, I guarantee it. It's part of the operating system in windows. In fact when microsoft went to court over their monopoly abuse they argued they could not remove IE from windows because it was so embedded.

If you are running windows 7 then go to your start button, and under search programs and files type in iexplore

It should show up in the list!

• lindsey brough

i dont.... ive searched, ive looked in program files and no IE

I want you to know that you CAN use an IE extension for Firefox and Chrome to access IE only web pages. That's why they were made in the first place. However, IE is not removable. I can tell you one thing that it indeed in there. However, you can try doing a system restore.