Why can Internet Explorer not display the web page?

August 30, 2011

Can anyone give me a cure for Internet Explorer constantly showing me the message ‘Internet Explorer cannot display the web page’? I have tried Internet Explorer 8 and 9, but still the same problem.

1. Osama

I suspect the solution here is far simpler than all this - maybe the URL you enter is just plain wrong? Why don't you give us a specific example of exactly what you type in to get this error...?

wrong DNS server entries in your LAN connection properties. Sometimes, due to
    certain errors, the DNS servers are not able to locate the web sites that are
    not visible to you. 

• Jeffery Fabish

To test this theory go to start -> run/search: "cmd.exe".

Then type "nslookup <website URL.TLD>" without quotes. Example:
      nslookup google.com

Then ping your dns servers. You can find your DNS servers by going back to CMD and typing "ipconfig/all" without quotes. Find the adapter you are using then find the listing "DNS servers", there should be two. Ping that address like this "ping <address>" without quotes. Example:
      ping 8.8.8.8

If either the lookup or ping fails I would temporarily switch DNS servers.

If you think your DNS servers aren't responsive or are not properly translating the domain name, you can change them. Go to start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing center -> Change Adapter Settings (top left) -> Right click on your adapter that you're currently using and chose "properties", then select IPv4 and select the "properties" button. Select "use the following DNS server addresses".

Choose either Google DNS or OpenDNS and enter in the addresses and select "Ok".

Google DNS Service
      Primary: 8.8.8.8
      Secondary: 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS Service
      Primary: 208.67.222.222
      Secondary: 208.67.220.220

I wouldn't suggest either DNS service without knowing where the person is geographically located.

With most services moving to Cloud and pages using Content Delivery Network the experience using the wrong (as in distant) DNS servers may result in slow content loading or for streaming services a lot of lagging or buffering.

• Jeffery Fabish

Both OpenDNS and Google DNS are pretty universal.

I don't want to make a universal judgement or statement. 
          For myself a 7-tab session [which I open on a daily basis] takes only half the time to load using my ISP DNS servers compared to Google DNS.

Also technically it's not universal ~ it does depend on where you live and where the next GoogleDNS or OpenDNS server is located. You can find enough tests around the web where lookup times (and therefor page loading) increase by 2x or 3x times compared to ISP provided DNS servers.

One of the reasons you don't notice it that much nowadays is because most services like Akamai or LLNW implemented probing and lookup on the hosts IP instead of routing based decisions.

Before that using public DNS services could lead to you loading content from a server half around the globe instead of one within your proximity.

Just so you know, OpenDNS and google DNS just got a lot faster with local CDNs. I'll be testing out these claims in the coming week. 

Do other webpages show the page? What page shows this URL?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196#gm1

5. Jonathan Mould

Chrome. Or Firefox. Or Opera. Or Safari. 
    Anything other than IE should work

Great alternatives to IE indeed. Unfortunately, IE is required for some operatinos, so we should still solve the issue.