Why does Internet Explorer keep disappearing from my Windows XP computer?
Question by jackie /

I have Windows XP Professional. I had Internet Explorer when I got my laptop and it just disappeared. I have downloaded it again from Microsoft’s website about 10 times. My computer goes through the process of installing, restarts and IE8 is no where to be found.

I don’t know how to get it installed so it will stay. I thought I might have a virus and ran all scans, nothing shows up. I’m at a loss of how to get IE8 back. Can you give me any ideas?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Mulder

Last time I checked, applications and files do not spontaneously disappear after installing. It’s there somewhere; you just have to search for it and then move it to where you like, or put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Thanks I did finally find it and was able to create a shortcut on my desktop. I’m not very good with computers, I’m glad I found this website that i could get help from.

Thanks Jackie

• Jeffery Fabish

If you go to start -> run and type “C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe” without quotes and press enter, does Internet Explorer launch? Can you make sure that the icon isn’t hidden in start -> all programs?

Please read this thread and find the post labeled as the answer, try those steps.

Thanks Jeffrey, When i tried to run the command it could not be found. But the message said try to search for it and i did find it and was able to put a shortcut on my desktop. Thanks for giving me an idea of where to start.

• Jeffery Fabish

Just to confirm, the issue is fixed correct?