Is an internet download speed of 220Kbps good enough?

Saptashwa Bandyopadhyay May 7, 2011

I have an unlimited connection, which consistently offers 200Kbps+ speeds, or 1.7Mbps (mega-bits)+ speeds. It comes around to 1MB in 5 seconds. What are your internet speeds? Is my connection good, average, or below-par?

1. Wayne

I live in Mumbai and and I wold consider yours a bit slow.

• Saikat Basu

For Kolkata, these speeds are just about the max. Unless, Saptashwa goes for a commercial connection, then that's double but is unnecessary and costly. For a guy who has the same connection, I think it's quite adequate for what we do daily. of course, we can't watch movies online without downloading them first. Streaming videos take a bit of buffering too. But beggars can't be choosers right especially here in our country.

2. Sahil Dave

i have only 256 Kbps Bandwidth... I wish i get any speed above this, i would be really happy !

3. lekarz kto

According to
    http://netindex.com/
    the average speed in India is around 1.58Mbps with a top speed of 2.86 in Aligarh. However, in the rest of the world this would be considered very slow. America and the UK average about 11, China 4.5. I've got cable broadband and average just under 50Mbps.

• Saptashwa

I know that! But as I said, they should uncap it so that I (we) can enjoy the 3Gbps speeds that I once got for 1 hour.

4. Jobber

Assuming you live in India... This is average.