Is it possible to make Internet Download Manager take over all my downloads?

Kofi Poku October 25, 2011

I have Internet Download Manager installed on my computer and at times it takes over some of my downloads, but at other times my browser (Opera Mini) takes over my downloads. How do I make IDM takeover all my downloads or any time I click a download button? Moreover is it possible to increase the download speed of IDM? If yes, how?

Right click on the link and choose download with IDM.
    If it is a new file format, add it to file types for the options,.

also, check the general tab of options and see whether opera is checked to capture downloads.

• Papilo20

Thanks. Opera has been already checked to capture my downloads so i will try the first option to see. Thanks anyway,

• Mjevolve

IDM is a good download manager , 
        how ever it happens some times im browsers like Chrome , Opera , 
        that some times , downloads fail to be overtaken by IDM .

you cab try this .

restart IDM .
        click Downloads > Options > General > Check the Advanced Browser Integration .
        and now select the browsers for which you want IDM to take over the downloads .

if it still doesnt , 
        again go to the Options menu , and click on Custom keys to prevent or Force downloading with IDM . 
        check the second option and define the key which you would like to use to force downloading with IDM.
        follow the simple instructions and that should be all .
        it should work now .

and as for increasing D/L speeds , 
        well IDM itself is a good manager and accelerator , and you wont get speeds greater than what you pay for in your bandwith .
        how ever you can still try this tool ,
        IDM Optimizer  
        http://cupucute.blogspot.com/2011/09/idm-optimizer.html 

it would optimize the IDM settings , so that you always get the max performance .

try and see .... 

• Papilo20

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

• Mjevolve

ur welcome mate ... :)

Also check what version of IDM and Opera you have.
        update both, because I can download from Opera with IDM.
        Older version of opera has some problem, and could be configured by tools. preferences >> downloads,
        but i am not sure about how they did it, because I don't have old opera browser.

You can try clicking the link with ALt key. that will force IDM to download, like @50ab52dff88ff8e87a1b3fdcf3a8e108:disqus  said.

Are the files known files like mp3 and flv or you are tryiong to download files like m4v or mkv ?
        for these files, you will have to add the format to file types .
        options> file type>>type the extension

Nothing can provide more speed than your maximum bandwidth capacity.
        And I have tried with default downloader of IE and mozila, chrome, they also download with the same speed.

I tried the following but dint notice much difference:

go to options > connections > connection type :LAn 10 mbps ,default connections 16 from 8.
        it will download from 16 connections, I tried it but does not make any difference.

• Papilo20

Thanks Jay