Why has my internet connection become slow?
Question by Lewis /

About two weeks ago my internet speed seemed normal. I had just got Miro and was downloading some films off thepiratebay.org for the first time to put on my iPod as I would be away from Internet for 2 weeks. I don’t normally use torrents or download films / music.

Now I’m back and my Internet is really slow. I had some Speedtest.net speed results from last month and it was about 2 MB download speed. Yesterday and today I have been doing tests and my speed hasn’t gone above .23 MB. Don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but my upload speed I’d higher than last month?

I’m with Tiscali (now talktalk) and have an unlimited data plan. Why has this happened? How can I make it faster again?

• ????? ?????

When I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment is added I receive four emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from that service? Many thanks!

Is there no unsubscribe link in any of the emails?
      Can you please forward me one of these emails to tina at makeuseof dot com? Thank you.

• Pete

Fred I too am having the same issues with miro. Its not a router problem Im sure its miro that slows everything down as when you close the program the speed returns. Not sure why it is doing it still trying to figure it out but Its not from downloading as even when I turn off the downloads the speed is still down with the program open.

Pete,

I noticed that your question was not answered, even after 5 days. If you’re still looking for a solution, I recommend you ask a new question here. It will be posted on the front page of MakeUseOf Answers, where it will be seen by a lot more people than within this comment thread.

• Fred

I have the same problem. when i close miro my speed test is 9.86mb down 1mb up and when miro is open with about50k down and 100k up running.  the speed test goes to 1mb down and 250k up but the max i see on miro is 70 down and 100 up with wide open setings.

Fred,

the above question is over a year old. If the solutions provided above do not work for you, I recommend asking a new question. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to receive a fresh answer within this comment thread.

• Martin

See I will give u better than others first u open ur pocket and pay the money u idiot

• Lewis

I found out that The telephone exchange only allows .5gb from BT and talktalk is supposed to give me 8gb although I am getting speeds of about 1.3mb now and have had higher before

• Oron

Lewis, the ‘8mb’ of your contract is the *maximum* which TalkTalk will give you, not the real speed, which is likely to be slower, depending on line quality, contention and other issues (OffCom are looking into this way of selling at the moment).
      There are plenty of reasons why your download might go down, including, as pointed above, a problem with the router. It could also be deterioration of line quality (that’s happened to me over with a drop of about 40% over several months). I suggest you call TalkTalk who can check the situation at your exchange and your line’s signal-to-noise ratio. They may be able to solve the problem, or alternatively, exclude certain faults.

• Simoogle

Had a slow down along with dropped packets. Had power cycled router and no change. Contacted Comcast and they suggested router issues. I dubiously replaced the router and problem solved. Try to borrow another router. Consumer grade routers are not very well engineered.

• Lewis

I’m confused about the speeds now but my plan is 8mb speed (don’t know correct ending) and unlimited downloads. Last month speedtest.net said my download was 2mb and now it is .23mb (very slow) I have turned my router on and off and nothing has changed. My router is locked with WPA. And the speed is slow all the time even off peak and is slow on iPod laptop etc. I think it is a talktalk fault. Google: tiscali talktalk very slow. There are forums saying about how tiscali was bought by talktalk and now the tiscali users have been put on bad servers

If you suspect your ISP then you should get in touch with them and complain.

Legally, you can cancel your contract with them immediately, if they cannot deliver what was agreed to in the contract, i.e. your plan. Have an alternative ready and tell them that’s where you will switch to. Then watch how fast they will try to help! If not, do switch.

Also try to change your WPA password. There is still a chance someone hacked it and is using your internet.

To exclude spyware, try internet on your iPod while you disconnect your laptop from the internet.

Let us know about the outcome!

• Jack Cola

I would log on to your ISP website and ensure that you are on an unlimited plan or they haven’t changed you to a capped plan (without your knowledge) and are currently shaping you (limiting your speeds).

Otherwise, scan your computer for viruses and malware.

Are you sure that the speed you looked at earlier was 2MBPS? Generally, speeds are shown as 2Mbps (small “b”). If that is the case, then your current speeds are OK as 2 Mbps translates to something around 256 KBPS (or .25 MBPS). That is, x MBPS=1/8*MBPS.

However, if you noted the correct speeds earlier, you should try and power-cycle the router as Tina has mentioned above. Also make sure that while you are running the speed tests, you aren’t downloading anything (that includes surfing).

Finally, make sure that neighbors are not stealing your Internet connection by accessing it from your WiFi Network. Check out the following post to secure your network:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-your-wireless-network-safe/

• Lewis

I have tried turning my router on and off but I think I know why it’s bad now.
    About 6 months ago talktalk bought tiscali and I was with tiscali and I think talktalk has put tiscali people on bad servers. I don’t know why it would happen now though if they were bought 6 months ago?
    It is a wireless router but I have tested the speed on different computers at different times of the day