Why does my internet connection drop every time I start a P2P client like µTorrent or BitTorrent?
Question by mustafa /

The problem I am facing is that every time I start the the torrent downloaders they work fine for 5-10 min and then the connection just drops and if I am browsing it says “cant load the pages”.

If I am not using the Torrent clients, the connections do not drop and all browsers work fine. The problem cropped up recently, first in µTorrent and then in BitTorrent. To restart the internet connection I have to shutdown the PC and restart.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Lolaminola

I have exactly the same problem.

• mustafa

Hi
    what I actually meant was that the torrents along with internet connection would stop ,anyways I found the problem was with the torrent settings .This happens mainly because there is a large number of connections that BitTorrent utilizes is stressing out the router/modem. The default settings in BitTorrent client is normally more connections than modems can handle. Since many of us are actually using the modems provided by our ISP, we have to lower the global connections in BitTorrent Client.

the following link my give you more info Stop BitTorrent from Killing Your Internet Connection

Mustafa,

when you say you lose your internet connection, do you get a respective message from our network control center? And do Torrent downloads stop as well?

There are at least two possible explanations.

One is that your Torrent clients take up all your bandwidth sending and receiving torrents, so that you can no longer browser the internet using your browsers. If that is the case, shutting down the Torrent clients should be sufficient to get your internet bandwidth back.

The second is that your ISP actually blocks the torrent transfers and cuts you off. I recently wrote an article about Internet Speed Tests and how you can improve bad results. In that article I mentioned a tool that will test whether or not your ISP blocks torrents: Glasnost. Try that and let us know what your result is.

Good luck!