Why is my Internet connection slowing while I download files?

Ankit Chauhan August 8, 2012

I am downloading on uTorrent and my connection slows from 200-300 Mbps to 20-30, how can I stop this from happening?

1. Amit Sinha

you have to keep in mind that utorrent also uploads the file while downloading The bandwidth allotted to you is sum of download plus upload.
    downloading speeds of torrent also depends on the health and availability of the torrent file.

2. Oron

Just to add to the mix, some ISPs use traffic shaping techniques to throttle torrent speed. You'll need to check with your ISP to see if that's the case.

3. elhaj
  4. illegal3alien

What's probably happening is your router can't handle all the connections uTorrent creates which, in turn, slows down all internet access. You can limit uTorrent to around 100 global connections by going in Preferences > Bandwidth and setting "Maximum number of global connections" to a value of 100-75. This won't allow as many peers/seeds to connect, but it should help prevent slow downs. If you have a newer router, you can try playing around with settings. It takes a while for changes to take effect, so if you raise it to 200-300 it may take a while to completely bog down the router. There are tweaks to help flush out connections from the router faster or you could also look into DD-WRT or Tomato if your router supports it. Both have QoS you can use to give Bittorrent lower priority over other traffic.

5. Josh Wein

try lowering your upload speeds to around 40 to 50 kbps, don't leave it to unlimited

6. Bineesh Bose

Your connection bandwidth is 200 - 300 kb/s right? So if you are downloading on uTorrent and try access internet in other ways such as open browser for a new page then you will definitely experience slower internet on browser because uTorrent is using your bandwidth already. This what I understand from your question.

7. Burhan Ahmed

you have limited bandwidth. Once you reach that bandwidth your connections starts reaching its full potential. Any further connections or usage will slow down other things

8. Aditya Roy

Downloading speed depends on the health of the torrent.
    Number of seeders and leeches...

9. achyut reddy

If you download things, it will use up a lot of bandwidth which in turn slows down you internet speed

• Ankit Chauhan

so how to fix this or make fast my internet connection

10. C Dockery

Short answer: While your download speeds are dependent on bandwidth, they are also impacted by CPU usage and available memory.

12. Christopher Harlan

Your download speeds heavily affect your bandwidth. However, if your torrent is downloading at a slow speed (much slower than it should), give an automatic mouse mover a try or get rid of uTorrent. One thing I have noticed is that when Im not using my computer, download speeds can go from 400 k/s to 20 k/s. I think its a bug with uTorrent :-/

In most cases, you can't. Your download speeds are related to your upload speeds (if you heavily throttle your uploads, your downloads will end up getting throttled as well) as well as the speeds of all other seeders and peers who have the file(s) you are downloading. If the seeders and peers have slow upload rates, that will be reflected in your download speeds. If there are not many seeders or peers available, your download rates will suffer. In some cases, other uploaders may have long queues of downloaders who also want the same file and it limits the number of concurrent uploads which helps download speeds overall. (It is better to give higher rates to a few concurrent connections rather than abysmal rates to more connections.) Despite all of this, there are a few things you can check. There is a tool in uTorrent that checks your connection. Make sure that it is not experiencing problems with outside connections getting to your machine for downloads since this will throttle your downloads (if you are just leeching, your download rates will get throttled). Also verify that your connection information is correct (incorrect settings may make it look like you are throttling uploads and it responds by throttling your downloads).