Why does my internet bandwidth fluctuate?
Question by Cena /

I was signed up to a 6 Mbps modem recently and I am experiencing internet speed drops to as low as 0.5 Mbps. Normally, the speed fluctuates at night and sometimes in the afternoon. When I say fluctuate, I mean that it changes a lot, like dropping to 0.5 Mbps and might just stay on for a few hours before the speed returns to normal.

So I was wondering, is this problem caused by me or it lies with the ISP?

• M.S. Smith

I am skeptical that the problem lies on your end if you’re on a wired connection. It is not unusual for ISPs to throttle speeds – there isn’t anything preventing them from doing so – and most ISPs never provide the stated maximum. I was with Comcast for some time with an “up to” 15 Mbps plan, but benchmarking connection usually resulted in an actual speed of between 6 and 8 Mbps.

If you are on a wireless connection it is possible the problem is on your end. Wireless connections are subject to interference both from physical objects and from other wireless devices. If you’ve been using wireless, try plugging your computer into your router via a wired connection for awhile and see if that helps. If it does, your wireless connection is the culprit – you should think about any obstacles in your household that might cause wireless interference, or buy a new router or wireless adapter if the ones you have are old.

What type of broadband internet do you have?