Why is the internal speaker on my desktop PC not working?
Question by To My Mind /

Hi,

I own a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P desktop PC, which has an internal speaker. However, although the sound does work if one uses either an external speaker or headphones, if one wants to use the built-in sound that is internal to the PC, it wont do it. In fact, the taskbar showing the “speaker” icon in the bottom right of the screen has an X in the bottom of it, and the message given is that “no audio output device is installed”.

I am using Windows Vista but am pretty sure this is a hardware issue because I had the same problem when I was using the PC with different operating systems. I am thinking perhaps this is a faulty internal speaker, but am not sure, and dont want to waste money buying a replacement speaker only to find out it is some other component that is faulty.

So what I would like to ask is: given the description of the symptoms as described, can anyone please confirm that the issue for this is in fact definitely a faulty internal speaker or some other issue. By the way, I have unplugged and replugged into the motherboard (the speaker connectors) just to see if the issue was caused just maybe by some connector that had slipped out of its socket. This did not resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ian

• QuIN

Hi,

Im sure your issue has already been solved. But if it hasn’t, heres what i suggest you do.

First of all I would just like to say, i had this sound issue after i took it to my local PC shop and they did a fresh intall. I tried every driver and links and none of them worked. But i tried one that might just work on you or for those who are having this issue still.

2nd of all, what i would say is, look inside your desktop and see if the wire, connecting from the internal speaker is not loose and is properlly connected to your motherboard.

3rd and finally, check this link. http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT037624# The link takes you to the lenovo website wher you can download the latest drivers. Their is a bit wher it say’s, choose your product. Click on that and choose your system. Download the driver, Install it and if it asks you to unistall your previous sound driver, say yes. It will restart your pc. Then wait untill it installs the driver and your sound should be back to normal. If not then im affraid i can’t help you further/.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Use the Lenovo drivers. I use the same machine, and installing the drivers seem to fix the issue.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

How long has it been like that? If it’s mute from the day you bought it it might be a faulty hardware and you’re eligible for refund. If it stopped working after a while, virus/malware might have erased the driver. Check the soundcard’s model and search for the driver in the internet or the PC maker’s site. If it’s still doesn’t work then you should consider replacement.

• Ahmed Khalil

check Bios setting and also hardware cable connection to it

• Douglas Mutay

It seems like you have tried all things that a normal user would try. But since you still can’t figure out what is going wrong, I will suggest to take it to a IT specialist to have a look at it and test every component to make sure they are working fine.

right click on the volume and choose Playback devices
    on that window right click and check show disabled devices

see if Audio Device is not disabled in BIOS. restart the computer. press F11 (depend on pc) to enter the System Setup and then use Arrow Keys to go to Audio Settings and change the Audio Device from Disabled to Enabled.

• Zaiyuddin Abdullah

Try update the driver on Lenovo website by searching your Lenovo PC model. Maybe this will work.

• Jim Chambers

Intenal speaker is only for beep codes etc and isn’t suitable for sound reproduction. Speaker icon in taskbar is for HD audio system and x indicates that no speaker is plugged into audio port.

• Adrian Rea

And I found this which may help
    Software

If you are running Microsoft Windows you can enable the Internal Speaker or PC speaker by following the below steps.

Open Device Manager
    In Device Manager click View and click Show hidden devices
    This should make “Non-Plug and Play Drivers” visible in Device Manager.
    Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers by clicking the plus and double-click Beep.
    Within the “Beep properties” window click the Driver tab.
    Under the driver tab if you wish to temporarily enable this device click the Start button. If you wish to permanently enable this device under the Startup Type select System.
    Motherboard jumper

If following the above steps does not enable the Internal speaker you can also almost always enable the Internal speaker through jumpers on the motherboard. Many motherboard manufacturers have jumpers that when jumped or not jumped will disable the onboard speaker.

Unfortunately all motherboards are different, therefore you will need to refer to the motherboard documentation in order to determine if your motherboard has such a jumper and what to set it to.

Motherboard cable

Some motherboards do not have an onboard speaker and instead use a computer case speaker that can be removed to disable the speaker. Unfortunately again you will need to refer to the motherboard or computers documentation to determine if your computer is setup this way.