To My Mind

Why is the internal speaker on my desktop PC not working?

31 Oct 2012
Windows vista
Explorer 9
31 Oct 2012 | Windows vista | Explorer 9

Hi,

I own a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P desktop PC, which has an internal speaker. However, although the sound does work if one uses either an external speaker or headphones, if one wants to use the built-in sound that is internal to the PC, it wont do it. In fact, the taskbar showing the “speaker” icon in the bottom right of the screen has an X in the bottom of it, and the message given is that “no audio output device is installed”.

I am using Windows Vista but am pretty sure this is a hardware issue because I had the same problem when I was using the PC with different operating systems. I am thinking perhaps this is a faulty internal speaker, but am not sure, and dont want to waste money buying a replacement speaker only to find out it is some other component that is faulty.

So what I would like to ask is: given the description of the symptoms as described, can anyone please confirm that the issue for this is in fact definitely a faulty internal speaker or some other issue. By the way, I have unplugged and replugged into the motherboard (the speaker connectors) just to see if the issue was caused just maybe by some connector that had slipped out of its socket. This did not resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ian