Why do internal links on MakeUseOf cause a log out?

Anonymous March 20, 2014

Whenever I navigate MakeUseOf, every time I click an internal link, the website automatically logs me out. For example, if I’m on the homepage, and I click “Answers,” when the new page is done loading, I will find myself logged out.

I’m wondering what it might be that is causing this issue, and how I can fix it?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Delete your cache and other browser data
    https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/95582?hl=en

I believe you need to have third-party cookies enabled in your browsers settings to stay logged in.

In Chrome go into Settings, then hit Show advanced settings...
    Under Privacy hit Content Settings and make sure to uncheck "Block third-party cookies and site data"

• Cristián T

It worked!

I followed your instruction of blocking third-party cookies and site data in the Chromium settings menu, and that seemed to have eliminated the problem.

Thank you so much for your help!

3. Jeff F

I find that I am also temporarily logged out, but it automatically logs me back in. If you're not automatically logged back in, try using a different browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox or Opera and tell me if you still have this issue.

• Cristián T

I just tested Firefox for the issue, and it appears as though every time I switch internal links, I still get logged out of the website. However, the difference between using MakeUseOf on Firefox as opposed to using it with Chromium is that when I use it with Firefox, MakeUseOf seems to log me back in automatically, usually by the time the page is completely loaded. For Chromium, even when the page is completely loaded, it doesn't seem to log me back in automatically like it does with Firefox. For various reasons, I prefer Chromium over the other web browsers you mentioned, mostly due the fact that it is faster, and it has more under the hood options that I can tinker with. For that, I would rather not have to switch browsers because of this issue. Thank you.

• Jeff F

Cristián,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your situation.

I had the same problem as you with Google Chrome on MakeUseOf. I found that MakeUseOf functioned and displayed correctly when Google Chrome was in Incognito Mode. From there, I disabled all of my extensions and cleared my browsing history since the beginning of time. I then exited Incognito Mode and everything was working just fine again :)

So, to recap - try the following:

Disable all of your extensions
      If this works, it is a problem with one of your extensions. From here, you may want to enable them one by one and test whether or not MakeUseOf functions and displays correctly with that particular extension enabled until you find the one that is breaking it. If this doesn't work, proceed..
      Clear your browsing data since the beginning of time (all checkboxes)
      If this works, your browser had cached an invalid/out-of-date or otherwise corrupted piece of information from MakeUseOf and was rendering that version instead of a good version. I hope this makes sense.

Please keep me posted on the status of this issue.