Intel or AMD, Dual or Quad, what is the perfect combination?

Darren Reynolds May 22, 2012

I’m looking to replace my laptop which has served me well. To be honest funds are minimal so I am looking for the best deal I can get.
So far I am looking at a HP G6-1336sa which has 8GB RAM and an AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M Processor
– 1.5 GHz
– 2.4 GHz TurboBoost
– 1333 MHz
– 4 MB L2 cache memory

Any advice/tips will be much appreciated at this stage

1. Stephen

The really important thing to always mention when you're talking about which computer you should buy is what you do with the computer. If you're spending your days crunching datasets or some other highly parallel task then you want all the cores you can find whereas if you're working in things that are less parallel you want to do them on a faster processor which, just through the way heat is generated, will tend to be on chips with fewer cores.

2. Darren Reynolds

Thank you everyone for your comments. Its much appreciated and helped.
    Cheers.

3. Sachin Kanchan

if you plan on keeping the new system for a longer time, maybe you should consider taking on intel...
    one reason is that it supports more hardware and you are likely to get good help on any issues cause more people are familiar to that...

and if you are an extreme entertainment lover or gamer...intel, though a bit heavy on money, will provide a lot lot better performance than amd...
    and not just RAM...but cores too do matter....so check out for a quad...because the world's moving on...and hex cores and octa cores are already there(....though on desktops...some provide hex cores on laptops too)

4. Oron

Darren,
    The A6 is a really good processor with a good balance of features. In particular, it has very good graphics processing capabilities (part of AMD's new "Vision" series). So, for most general purpose uses (including typical internet use, word processing, spreadsheet and databases, and some games, but not the most demanding), it represents excellent value.
    The Intel offering at this level is probably a fast i3, or perhaps an i5 which will not be as fast out of the box, but with a separate video card it would probably be a better machine for gaming, so it's a matter of horses for courses.

5. Matt Smith

It's a trade-off.

The Intel will beat the pants of the AMD in processor performance - yes, despite the fact that the Intel is a dual-core and the AMD a quad. That's just how slow AMD is these days.

On the other hand, the AMD will beat the pants off the graphics performance of the Intel. It's not GREAT by any means and you will still have trouble with some modern games. But it is better.

My vote is for the Intel, and if you need better graphics, buy a laptop with a discrete GPU option.

If you are looking for performance e.g. for games I suggest an Intel CPU with a dedicated NVIDIA or ATI graphics chip. Intel does provide more performance than the AMD CPUs within the same price range

If you are looking for an office and entertainment machine AMD will give you a better performance for money because it's integrated graphics solution is way better than the Intel HD graphics (thanks to it's Accelerated Processing Units) and laptops without a dedicated GPU are usually inexpensive.

Intel or AMD - AMD is much cheaper and I have not had any problems with it on my computers.
    Dual core or Quad - Dual core is old now, if funds allow go for quad core.

AMD will almost always be cheaper than Intel for similar component specs, but the performance may also be a little less depending on the exact combination of devices. If it is for general usage, you probably don't need a quad, but if you will be playing games or working with spreadsheets or databases with large datasets, a quad is a must. If you can afford a quad and plan on keeping the machine for a significant length of time, do it.