Why does installing KDE in Ubuntu 11.04 crash Unity?

dan May 28, 2011

I installed the KDE for Ubuntu Natty 11.04 from a command line and selected gdm boot up option in the set up. When I start up, the KDE starts good.

However, when I change to Ubuntu in the log in selection window, it logs in, but all the unity launchers and interface, the top panel are all gone. I can’t use the Super (Windows) key either. Can’t launch any applications or do anything. All I can do is right-click on the desktop.

I wonder what happened, and what I need to reverse the changes. I would like do something like System Restore and get the system back to as it was yesterday without the KDE. How can I do that?

If I go to the Synaptics Package Manager or the Ubuntu Software Centre, and make a search for all installed applications that begin with ‘kde’ or have ‘kde’ as part of their name, will it work? Or will it cause a system crash by removing some applications that are also used in the Unity interface? Please help!

1. Eddyleblue

I have have/had the same problem, but i'm not sure if it's actually to do with kde, just out of interest you should check if you're kernel's tainted. 

2. jhpot

What command did you use to install KDE? 

• linux@pntngr

it will not affect your system. install gnome again.