What is “installid not responding” mean on Mac OS X?

Anonymous July 12, 2014

I was looking at Activity Monitor on my iMac and noticed a line in red which said “installid not responding” so I made it quit. I wonder what that message meant and when I made it quit, was that ok to do. I am new to the mac os.

1. John

OK, thanks for the help. The process was "installid" . It had id on it but spell check changed it to
    installed. Anyway I'm glad it was nothing serious. I don't want to mess up my new computer.

• Oron J

OK, I have corrected the question accordingly.

create a new user account and log into that account. If the installer does not freeze (installed not responding) while under that user account, then the problem most certainly lays somewhere with your usual user account like corrupt prefs file. Do take Jan F comment in consideration.

"installd" is the installer process of OS X
    "not responding" means that the process either hangs or is too busy to respond

I can't tell you whether it was good or bad to force quit it ~ that depends on what the process was really doing.

I assume you didn't manually install something at that time so that only leaves Software Update to be the cause for installd to be running. Fortunately the update process of OS X is pretty robust ~ most things that can actually break your system if interrupted require you to restart the Mac. They will run on the 'logon screen' in a way where you can only pull the power cord or press the power button for 4 seconds to stop it. The rest usually recovers itself by just running the installation again.

My suggestion is to click on the Apple logo in the top left then select System Preferences.
    In the System Preferences click on App Store and deactivate "Install app updates", "Install system data files and security updates". This will stop OS X from automatically installing updates, you will have to do that yourself then, but at least installd will not run unattended in the background without you knowing what it is doing.