Why does the installer always crash when I try to install Ubuntu on my computer?

Zain August 22, 2011

I tried to install Ubuntu 32-bit on my PC from a USB, but the installer crashed. I tried to install it from a CD, but installer also crashed.

Processor = Amd Athlon x2 64
VGA = 512 Mb
RAM = 1 GB

I just replied to another of your posts with a similar "blame Ubuntu" title:  Are you part of Microsoft's disinformation campaign against Linux, or are you just not very competent.  (Yes, I'm sorry if this is fightin' talk but Ubuntu and Linux work exceeding well, more-so in the last couple of years - if you have a problem it is not the fault of the Ubuntu product.)

To be more helpful - 1Gb Ram is not a lot, and your XP software will have to work hard to do things, paging ram to and from the hard disk.  Ubuntu copes well with the same amount of ram; so whatever you do increase your Ram to the max your PC will take - Ram is cheap and the benefits are immense.

Then, follow my advice in the other post; and in the UK, buy a Complete Guide to Linux mag/book from WH Smith.  It has good instructions and a recent Ubuntu DVD.

Oh - and ask for help with what you want to do, rather than say "ubuntu won't do..."

What's wrong with stating what the problem is? That's what this forum is about. I wish everyone would be so straight forward because then I wouldn't have to write the headlines for most of the questions.

Chances are that this headline is from me. To be honest I don't remember as I moderate over 200 questions a week. Anyways, if it is, then it was based on the body of the question and the keywords initially in the headline. If I did write it, I worded it that way not to 'blame Ubuntu' or disgrace Linux in general, but to communicate to everyone what the problem is, so that no one would have to read the entire question first. This forum is about solving questions, not about walking across eggs with thin shells.

If it freezes on creating partitions then I would suggest running some live CD and partitioning the drive from that OS

Hi Zain!

Do you get an error message at all? What spin of Ubuntu are you using (10.04,10.10,etc.)

Could you try installing it in a Virtual Machine first? This is only to make sure the actual installer media is fine. You should also run a checksum. 

If you're able to install in a virtual machine, the media is fine. At this point, I'd have to ask which installation option you're choosing (Overwrite windows, install alongside or custom)? If you're choosing anything but overwriting Windows, I would simply partition the drive myself.