How can I install Z600 drivers for a Lexmark printer in Linux?

matt December 14, 2010

Following the steps given by ha14 two weeks ago to install, I am able to reach up to sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz. Then it says no such file or directory. How do I proceed from here? I have already installed libstdc++5, libstdc++6 and alien.

1. Jamiebbb0723

Hello, I'm trying to find the tar.gz file to download for the Z600 printer. Do you have a copy? I looked on other forums and their links that go to the lexmark website do not exist anymore. Thanks for the help.

Jamie,

if you don't get an answer in reply to your comment here, I recommend to post a new question.

• db

I managed to find the lexmark files using the waybackmachine site. This site attempts to save a copy of the majority of the web every few months (and yes, I know what that last sentence means :). Its very useful for finding pages/files that are no longer 'in service'. Go to http://www.waybackmachine.org and then search for the lexmark page you are after - it worked for me.

log in as root Download the driver (the procedure is written for z600 but should work), save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark`

then this, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks

$ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended.
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped

The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart

Check whether the printer backend works;
    $ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    $ ./z600

The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:
    direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

If you get no output, mount the usb filesystem.

Add this to your /etc/fstab file:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0

Then just type: sudo mount usbfs. That should fix it.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

z35 driver to have the Z35 driver file: CJLZ35LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pardusrepo/sources/

HOW TO Install printer Lexmark X1270 on (K/L/X)Ubuntu 10.04

#--- Install alien
    sudo apt-get install alien

#--- Install libstdc++.so.5
    cd ~/Downloads
    mkdir lexmark
    cd lexmark
    wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/i/ia32-libs/ia32-libs_2.7ubuntu6.1_amd64.deb
    dpkg-deb -x ia32-libs_2.7ubuntu6.1_amd64.deb ia32-libs
    sudo cp ia32-libs/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib/
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

#--- Download the drivers from one of the below links (they are mirrors to same file):
    http://www.easy-share.com/1908438339/Z617.tar.gz
    # You will need to manually download the file in firefox, and wait a minute for the download button to appear. Save it in your lexmark folder.
    #
    # or
    #
    wget http://ompldr.org/vNjQ5ag/Z617.tar.gz
    # http://ompldr.org/vNjQ5ag/Z617.tar.gz
    # Another location where same file was uploaded in 10/11/2010

#--- Extract the contents of the downloaded file Z617.tar.gz - it will create a directory "Z617" with 4 "deb" files
    tar -zxvf Z617.tar.gz

#--- Install each of the 4 "deb" files, in the following order (the order is important):
    sudo dpkg -i Z617/libcupsys2_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.1_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i Z617/libstdc++5_3.3.6-17ubuntu1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i Z617/z600cups_1.0-2_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i Z617/z600llpddk_2.0-2_i386.deb

#--- Uncompress the file /usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
    sudo gunzip /usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz

#--- Now the drivers are installed, but we need to tell cups to use them for your Lexmark printer.
    # - Startup your printer and connect it (by usb in my case) to the computer
    # - Go to System-> Administration-> Printing and click Add.
    # - In the list there should appear a Lexmark option - select it and click Forward. Wait while the computer automatically searches for drivers
    # - Once it has found the drivers, they will appear. Select Lexmark and click Forward, then Z600 (at the end), Forward. Then click Apply on the next screen.
    # If the drivers where not automatically found, as it happend to me in (K)ubuntu 10.04, then it will ask you to "Choose the Drivers" -> click "Provide PPD file", and select the file "/usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd". Then click "Forward" and "Apply" on the next screen
    # - Turn your printer off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on again (this is just to make sure there's nothing in the buffer to cause problems).
    # - Select the printer, right-click -> "Properties" -> "Printer options", and configure the "Media size" (to A4 in my case), the "Media Type" (to Plain Paper=normal paper, in my case) and any other option you see fit. Configure at least the "Media size" or the printings may get out distorted.

#--- And it should be all done and working now!
    # Try to print a test-page in the CUPS options, or open OpenOffice Writter to write something in a blank sheet and click "Print" :)
    # From now on, you only need to plug the printer to the computer, and you can "Print" normally to it :)

#--- NOTES:
    #PS. if you get an error message saying that the "printer could not execute a filter" then execute:
    sudo chown -hR root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chown -hR root:root /usr/lib/cups/backendTested and working with:
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Lexmark X1270 printer
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Lexmark Z517 printer
    Kubuntu & Ubuntu 10.04 + Lexmark X1170 printer