Why can I not install Windows XP on my new Sata hard drive in a dual boot with Windows 7?

Tony December 20, 2010

I put a new WD Sata hard drive in my case. My C: drive is a WD Sata 1 TB.
The drive is recognized by the system, and formatted to NTFS.

I have Windows 7 on C: and want to install Windows XP on second drive. Once Windows XP tries to install, I get a blue screen of death. *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I suspect it may have something to do with RAID, but I do not know how to set it up. I have checked the drive with the WD diagnostic disk, and it shows the drive to be okay. I would appreciate any help available. Thanks!

1. Docrizk

im looking to dual boot as well. the reason is because my audio hardware will not run stable in win 7 but cant use virtual pc because the inability to use firewire or usb connected devices. Im getting the same BSOD during the install. and i cant for the life of me find my motherboard type to slip stream the proper driver. using pcwizard all i can see is its a Foxconn Aloe which doesnt help when searching for drivers on there site. If anyone can help me  it would be much appreciated. Heres my pc info:
    HP e9220y
    Win 7 Home 64-bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 2.6 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Vantec FW 800/400 PCI-e (TI Chipset)
    M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

The question you replied to is rather old. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer and you are unlikely to receive an answer here. Hence I recommend that you submit a new question via the Ask a Question button on MakeUseOf Answers. Thank you!

2. Strydr Denis

Yep your right. You need Windows 7 Ultimate to support XP mode. I would personally use
    Virtual Box as Richard Carpenter suggested, I use that and have Windows XP and Ubuntu
    each running as virtual machines on my Windows 7 machine.

3. Richard Carpenter

How about installing XP mode in Windows 7, what version of 7 is installed. This would be alot easier than doing a dual-boot, and that is coming from a Unix guy. If you can not install XP Mode, VirtualBox is a good free alternative.

• Tony

I only have Home Premium Edition, and I don't think it will support XP Mode. Am I right?

This stop error refers to a few problems but since you have Windows 7 in place and working my guess is that your SATA drive is set to either AHCI or RAID mode in BIOS. While Windows 7 installation has generic drivers for this mode Winodws XP does not and therefor cannot access the hard drive.

You'll need to provide the RAID/ACHI drivers during the blue pre-install screen where it asks you to press F6 for additional drivers.

The second thing you have to be carefull with is that Windows does not support dual-boot by default. After Windows XP installation your Windows 7 will most likely not be available for boot in the first place.

Depending on your setup you might be able to setup the boot options through boot.ini but since I've never tried dual-booting Windows I'll leave this topic to someone else to answer.

• Tony

Thanks a lot Mike. I will have to see if I can download the driver from the net. The Win 7 was pre-installed on the machine and it is set for RAID. Since I do not want to have info going to both OS's, can I take the raid setting away from the Win 7 and run the system with no raid at all?

I assume you mean the BIOS setting "SATA mode" is set to RAID??
        If it's an actualy RAID setup (RAID 0, RAID 1 etc) it's not that easy.

In general there is no problem switching the SATA mode from RAID/AHCI to IDE in BIOS ~ problems usually occur doing it the other way around.
        Worst case you get a BSOD on boot, change the setting back and everything is working again.

Using IDE mode you will lose features like Native Command Queuing which speeds up drive access and more importantly Hot-Swapping which is advisable when using eSATA.

For the Dual-Boot thing I just found a guide on HowToGeek:
        http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

• Tony

Thanks Mike. I will have a look and see if it is logical to me. tony