How can I install Windows XP network drivers on my Dell computer?
Question by Myke46 /

Can anyone please instruct me in the easiest way to install the network drivers for Windows XP, so I can connect to net? Thanks to Dell support I was shipped Windows XP Basic instead of Windows XP Pro SP3, which is what I had. Since they will not fix the situation, even though they apologized for my ‘inconvenience’. So now I’m downgrading. The machine is a Dell Dimension 2400.

Myke,

did you try FIDELIS’ suggestions and did any of them work? Let us know. Thank you!

Hello, go to the following site and download the Broadcom driver. If you have wireless you also download the wireless drivers there. If you do not have internet at home, ask a friend if you can use his computer and save the driver/drivers to a usb drive. If you do not have a usb drive you can burn them to a cd.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WW1&osl=EN

On the following link, you will find the order DELL recommends when installing drivers.
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~lt=print

Hello, most times you can just download the driver and once finished downloading you can just run the installer. It might ask you for a reboot afterwards. If you do this, make sure you go to your device manager and uninstall any old drivers if any.

To do that, follow the next steps:
    — click on windows key + Pause/Break
    — on menu select hardware
    — click on device manager
    — find and expand Network adapters
    — highlight your network adapter and right click
    — select uninstall to uninstall the driver
    — once uninstall, go to where you have your new drivers
    — run the executable file
    — restart computer if needed

If you have a disk and your driver has an .inf extension, you can also use the have disk option when installing drivers
    — on device manager highlight and right click your card
    — select update drive
    — select browse my computer for driver
    — select have disk
    — using browse go to where your driver is stored
    — you will see computer trying to find driver
    — if driver is compatible it will install driver

• Myke46

Tina,Re:Fidelis’ suggestions,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond.I finally have some free time to try them today.This morning I’m loading the drivers on a usb drive(according to Dell’s install order,and I’ll install them on the desktop this pm.Will deinitely let you know how it turns out.

• Myke46

Tina and Fidelis,
    I just wanted to let you know that all went well and the old desktop is up and running.Thank you for the advice.