How can I install Windows XP on a laptop with SATA hard drive?

akhil raj July 13, 2011

I have a Compaq laptop. I want to install Windows XP on it. it is 64-bit I don’t have SATA drivers. Please help me in this case.

If you have a Windows XP CD with SP3, you can just install it normailly as it will already have SATA drivers.  If you have a previous version of the XP CD, on another computer you can copy the entire CD to its hard drive, download SP3 from Microsoft and slipstream it into the files copied to the hard drive.  Then you can burn these files to a new CD and use that for the installation.  Otherwise, you need to determine the SATA chipset used in your laptop, download the drivers and copy them to a floppy disk (if your laptop has a floppy drive) or a CD to use during the installation.  When the installation gets the the point where it asks to press F6 to install additional device drivers, do so and follow the prompts to load your SATA driver.