Can I install Windows 8 64-bit if I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit?
Question by Hanamichi Kurotsuchi /

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit operating system, and I wanna install Windows 8 64 bit on it, can I do that?

• Bob Geoffries

It is not possible to change from 32 bit to 64 bit during an upgrade. You require either a standalone 64 bit version of W8 or a 64 bit legacy Windows OS.

• shekshavali B.R

i hv dual core system than how can i install to win8 .why now im useing os in win 7.

• Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

thank you Guys, this is really amazing place at which you help others. thank you ALL.

• George Monroe

i have never been able to use a 64 bit upgrade disk, behind a 32 bit os

• Kannon Y

If you meet the minimum
    system requirements
    , then you can absolutely install Windows 8,

1 GHz or faster
    1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

However, because of the driver differences between 32 and 64-bit
    operating systems, upgrading is impossible. So a fresh installation is

These specs are pretty much the same as required by Windows 7.

• Christian Naughton

If you have a computer that has a 64 bit processor (you probably will), all you have to do is erase your current installation, and install a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 over it.

• Igor Rizvi?

If you have a dual core,you can install it.

• Suman Acharya

64-bit version requires no doubt 64-bit processor and other devices to support it good,
    like 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 20 GB available hard disk space, DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver, to run new Metro style apps screen resolution greater than 1024×768.

• jessemanalansan

If you have a 64bit processor, then you can. Also make sure that you have the recommended minimum specs to run Windows 8 :) I would recommend doing a fresh install and not upgrade.

• aji

Is this £49 windows 8 64 bit version work on 32 bit windows 7 pc s? ,thank you .

Since Windows 8 is not ready fully,it’s better to first take backup of your data to a separate drive and then Windows 8.You can’t go back after installing it by simply removing it.