How do I install Windows 8.1. on my early 2009 iMac?

January 24, 2014

How do I install Windows 8.1. on my early 2009 iMac? I have updated to the latest version of OS X, Mavericks, and have Boot Camp Version 5.1.0 (473).

I don’t plan to use the Mac keyboard or mouse, but instead a hard connection keyboard and mouse.

1. Bruce Ucw

Succinct and to a point.
    Yet a worthless response.
    --------------------------------------
    The biggest issue you will have is drivers. Currently Apple has a limit set of Bootcamp available drivers for Windows 8.1
    Try your Google-foo and see other peoples complaints and how some of them pulled off getting it onboard.

In the end, if you follow the normal path of using Bootcamp, it will tell you if there are drivers specific to a given OS version. My iMac 24 inch with a fresh install of Mavericks and Bootcamp 5.1, claims there is no driver support for Windows 8.1 for this particular Mac.

I personally haven't tried to see if I can wing certain pushing manufacturer drivers by hand for some of the chips.

Alternately, you should consider VMWare Fusion 6 or Parallels 9 as a way of getting Windows 8.1 to run on your iMac without BootCamp

2. Paul Harris

DON'T