Can I install Windows 7 on my computer using my serial number and the installation disc of someone else?

Darren Reynolds September 15, 2012

Couple of things I would like to know. I have recently got a new laptop which came with Windows 7 Pro installed. It’s HP, so it got tons of HP stuff on there, most of which I’m going through and removing simply because I don’t like clutter.

My friend has a copy of Windows 7 Pro so my question is, can I, using my O/S license and his disk, reinstall my O/S?

1. specialtrade

Yes you can, but take care on activation!! or you can use one of the serials posted here:

2. Akbar Jan Polad

I insttaled windows 7 not geniune. How can I do geniune It,before I had geniune Windows 7 home pimiume

3. Saurabh Banwaskar

definitely u can !!!

use a oem version of win7 pro but you still need to know if your version was 64bit or 32 bit then use the correct disk

5. Alex Perkins

It should as long as its an OEM one

6. Ramin

Yes way no.
    I INSTALL (windows 7) windows from my friend disk and the key was main.
    That key was from my Laptop first windows.

7. Dimal Chandrasiri

simple answer, HELL YEAH YOU CAN.. :D bt if you want to re assure, just contact Microsoft or the re seller of your laptop and ask them.. :) problem solved!

8. hemanth

Yes, you can But the Version of windows 7 must be the same. If You don't have same version of windows 7 then download it from the below link
    This Is a Direct link from the microsoft.

9. Trol1981

Yes it's possible.

10. Ram Lalit

yes u can. but have a check about the type on cd meaning is it home basic or ultimate.

11. Dave Rimmer

A few waste of time comments on here with yes you can etc talk of spamming to gain points! What make of laptop is it HP..... model number. if you laptop came with windows installed why have you got another key as Juan stated you should have a recovery partition that enables you to recover your laptop to pre-new condition google your make with - How to do a recovery of a HP Your Model Number Laptop and you should be able to do it your self. Also look for the key on the underside of the laptop you should have one there. or you can download it from here -

12. Juan Gonzalez-Piloto

Like stated earlier on this thread, you can install with your friend's Win7 OEM, but not retail, DVD. But, the better thing to do is make your own DVD from the HP recovery partition on your harddrive. That way you can keep all your HP software and OS on DVD for recovery purposes.

13. David Yaroshevsky

As long as the serial number hasn't been used up, you should be able to. In fact, you may be able to just download the OS online.

14. ahmed Fouad khalil

Yes you can but i do not think it is legal thing

15. Josiah Brunne

Well, You Should be Able too.

16. Erlis Dhima

If it is an OEM version, yes you can! If it is retail, it's only for one PC!
    Anyway, from what you are saying, that you have your O/S license, then using his DVD it's not a problem...
    What do you really buy from microsoft, is the license key...

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah, that is why I just buy the key and not bother with buying the disk as a whole.

17. Saurav Azad

yes you can do that as described by Bruce Epper in his post .

I think if you go about About Computer Property you should see HP logo, meaning the dvd is from HP; the serial is for HP, now if you see windows logo then the serial will not work in this case.

19. Timothy Liem

yes you can. just enter your serial number when asked and you're done. the serial number reads the hardware so you don't have to be afraid when updating.

20. Edmar Diego

just copy your registration from the former pc to validate the next time you install. it worked for me.

• Alan Wade

Edmar, why dont you try reading the question?
      Your answer has nothing at all to do with the actual question.

21. Sonny Bass

Actually if you just install using their disk and your serial it will tell you validation failed, but all you have to do is press the button that says change key,reenter your serial and it will pass then.

22. Adjei Kofi

What Bruce says sounds like it could work.

• Alan Wade

Adjei, your comment is a waste of space, try to be original.

23. Noah Brisson

Yes, you should be able too. As long as the code has not been used more than the amount of licenses that are allowed.

If their disk is an OEM version, your key should work with it. If theirs is a Retail version, it won't. I'm not sure if this will work or not, but you could create an ISO image of the DVD and using UltraISO (or a similar tool) copy the file \sources\ei.cfg to your local drive, modify the line after [Channel] to read OEM instead of Retail, save the file and then copy it back into the ISO image replacing the original file there. After making that change, burn the ISO to a new DVD and try the installation from that disk. In theory, it should allow you to use your OEM key during the installation and the activation should occur without a problem. (This is based on a similar method I have used to change the distribution channel on XP CDs.)

25. Loreson San Juan

Yes, you can.