How can I install windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on a laptop that came with Linux pre-installed?

Farhan Karim August 5, 2012

I recently bought Dell Inspiron N5520 with pre-installed Ubuntu Linux 12. Now I want to use Windows and Ubuntu both. How to do that?

1. dragonmouth

One detail everyone is forgetting is that whenever a multi-boot drive is being set up, Windows MUST ALWAYS be installed first. Otherwise it will overwrite the Master Boot Record, destroying access to other previously installed O/Ss. No version of Windows likes to share a drive with another O/S.

2. Ramn

I have pree installed ubuntu with my lenovo laptop now i want to install win-7 but I am not able to do

3. Amit Sinha

install through BIOS.
    Go to BIOS setup and change first boot device to DVD/RW and second boot device to HDD and just insert win 7 ultimate DVD you will be guided through installation setup.
    After finishing installation you have to revert the changes in BIOS above which you have done before installing.

4. ReĆ½ Aetar

first format it using windows cd ind install windows then insert the ubuntu disc a set window will pop up allowing you to install ubuntu along with windows

5. Anay Chaubal

If you wish to keep ubuntu, then I think you need to first install windows 7, then install ubuntu, which will give you a boot manager, which is basically a menu to select which OS to boot into. In case you wish to install windows 7 on this ubuntu laptop, please insert the windows 7 disc into your cd/dvd-drive and start you laptop up. the boot into cd option will be displayed. press select / next till you come upto the disk drive screen, where you will have to delete the partition on the hard drive where ubuntu is currently installed. the proceed with creating a partition in the hard drive to install windows. in case you also want to install linux afterwards, divide the hard drive into 2 smaller partitions at this stage itself.

6. Usman Mubashir

backup all data in a USB then format the whole HDD, this will also boost performance of your laptop.

7. Dalsan

Essentially you would have to partition the hard drive in Linux with enough room for both operating systems, then install Windows on the empty partition. After Windows installs, you have to edit or reinstall GRUB boot manager or try the other suggested boot manager as it looks more appealing.

8. Jonas Nordgren

while your at it i recommend looking up BURG it is nice looking boot manager

• Farhan Karim

and if i want to uninstall ubuntu and then install windows ?? Procedures

9. Suman Acharya