Should I install VIA drivers when Realtek drivers are already installed and my motherboard supports both?

Yashraj T December 23, 2013

I have a Gigabyte G41M-Combo(rev. 1.3) motherboard. The Specifications tab in the website mentioned above shows that I have the following Audio specifications in this mobo:

VIA VT1708S codec————————MY SYSTEM DOESN’T RECOGNIZE IT ANYWHERE
High Definition Audio———————THIS MEANS REALTEK HD AUDIO
2/4/5.1-channel—————————–USUAL STUFF
Support for S/PDIF Out——————–USUAL STUFF
Support for CD In—————————USUAL STUFF

I already have a Realtek HD Audio Manager installed which shows my Audio codec as ALC888B/ALC887 and driver version as 5.10.0.6387. I know there is a new update release available but I do not plan on downloading it since my motherboard does not have support for it.

Now the problem here is that I do not have the VIA drivers/software installed and the sound is working just fine with the Realtek stuff. Should I download any drivers/software for the VIA VT1708S codec to take advantage of its advanced features available at http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/codecs/vt1708s/ and enhance my sound? I do not want to mess it all up as I’ve done in the past (got a PS/2 mouse running on some stupid Alps driver which made its performance bad… works fine now) and hope that if I download the drivers mentioned at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3505#dl there would be no driver conflicts and issues. I just want to take advantage of the extra features without killing my 7 year old PC. I used GIGABYTE’s download center at  and it doesn’t show that VIA codec or software or driver anywhere.

The software at GIGABYTE’s website lists it as:

Audio Version Size Date
VIA audio driver 10800a 81.55 MB 2012/10/25

If anybody here can help I would be glad. Sorry for posting a long question! :)

High Definition Audio is only a specification, it doesn't say anything about the chipset used on the board. One of it's purpose is to have standardized connectors e.g. for front panel audio.

If your chipset is identified as a ALC887 I suspect you actually have revision 2.0 of this board which does indeed feature a Realtek audio chipset.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4213#sp

Previous revisions 1.3 & 1.4 do sport the VIA chipset you have mentioned.

If your audio working using the "wrong" driver I would suspect your system is actually using a generic driver supplied by Windows. As for the software on top if like the Audio Manager there is a chance it is working thanks to the standards and specifications mentioned in the beginning.

Simplest way to find out is to open the device manager and see if there are any drivers missing or not working properly (normally shown with an exclamation mark on a yellow background, possibly in the "other devices" branch). If there are, it's worth your while installing the drivers. Otherwise, don't bother.