How can I install Ubuntu 9.1 to dual boot on a machine that already runs Windows XP?

Sahil Dave July 19, 2010

This is kinda tricky. I have two hard drives, I dont know which is slave and which is master, but on one of them my Windows XP is installed. When I installed Ubuntu with default settings, i.e. just hitting next, next without making any changes in the boot or any other settings, there was no menu from which I can select the operating system. Windows started directly and some HDD space was also used up.

Can u tell me how to properly install the Ubuntu system, so that I can select the operating system when booting? One of my friends told me that I have to make changes in Boot Options just after the partition selection step. Please Help! I’m stuck with boring Windows.

1. Jessica Cam W.

If you use Wubi, you won't have any nightmares, as it gives you the ability to choose the OS.

So let me get this straight. You want to replace the Windows bootloader with the Ubuntu bootloader?

• Sahil Dave

i simply want the dual-boot menu...i dont care which one is replacing the other... pls help me....

The install process has been simplified a lot ever since Ubuntu 7. However, you can take a look at the following guide in order to see whether or not you are doing everything right.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

• Sahil Dave

hey! i did all the stuff according to this only...but the '2 Hard disks' cause the problem...
      its something like....there's window's booting software in one of the two HDD and i have to put the ubuntu's boot software in that drive only..how can i get to know which is my desired drive ???